Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mona

Mona

Anything good here...thought these might have worked from a shoot that did not go very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mona-mona-delux-1103.jpg   Mona-mona-delux-1057.jpg   Mona-mona-delux-1067.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Second Shooter

Re: Mona

I like the first and the last one most..... The theme what impressed me a lot here in these photographs..... Great use of lights..... in the second photograph the eyes of the model is too wide open, which creates some sort of irritation.....

I think they all work. love the harsh highlights. it gives it a prestine feel. like a brand new toy. the highlights also accentuate the curves and the shape of the body. for facial expression. i like them in this order, 3,1,2.

the strongest one for me is the 1st one though. the blues are amazing. i like her pose adn her hair is very lovely messy.

good stuff! as always.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Hello Gary
    Not an area of photography I know anything about or particularly enjoy but what I do know is that you always produce very professional results. It seems to be an area you have immersed yourself in.
    What I have always enjoyed though are the skills of your models, especially in producing brilliant facial expressions that suggests these ladies can act a bit. They must enjoy and be very confident working with you
    Technically I can't find any fault with these shots. Oh go on then; maybe in the second shot her right hand is a bit bright.
    Soon, maybe, you may be able to full time with the photography?
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Well, they certainly create a reaction

I do not think anyone will remain without expressing an opinion

#2 and her facial features is my favorite , even while I find the hair style quite unlikeable, the eyes are impressive, along with the face lines

how long was the session? it should have taken some time to redo the hair/makeup between blue and red takes

So this is a disaster?

#1 is the best of the bunch for me. The pose, the gaze, the colors... the hair! I like it a lot.

As for the other two, I think it's down to aesthetic preference: do you like the clothing, do you like the model's look, do you like the makeup? Because technically they're great. #2, particularly, is even more illustrated-looking that you're previous work. Love the look. I do agree with Jason that eyes are really wide open in that one - a little too DIHL, perhaps.

#3 works just fine for me.

The lighting and pp are fantastic in all of them - as usual.

Hate to turn it around, but what were you going for that you didn't get?

Quote Originally Posted by jasontrott View Post
    I like the first and the last one most..... The theme what impressed me a lot here in these photographs..... Great use of lights..... in the second photograph the eyes of the model is too wide open, which creates some sort of irritation.....
    Jason, thank you for the time to comment and share your thoughts. Its just what I am looking for and very helpful. When you say "theme" are you specifically referring to the latex wardrobe?

gary

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
    I think they all work. love the harsh highlights. it gives it a prestine feel. like a brand new toy. the highlights also accentuate the curves and the shape of the body. for facial expression. i like them in this order, 3,1,2.

the strongest one for me is the 1st one though. the blues are amazing. i like her pose adn her hair is very lovely messy.

good stuff! as always.
    Liban, I love your description of the highlights looking like a brand new toy! the "blown out hightlights" are very much a part of latex fashion and widely accepted and even embraced as per your description. The latex is polished with a special lube that makes it shine, and is provided to customers as well that buy these dresses.
    I'm with you on the order of appeal of these for me in 3,1, and 2. I'm glad I'm not alone on that

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond View Post
    Hello Gary
    Not an area of photography I know anything about or particularly enjoy but what I do know is that you always produce very professional results. It seems to be an area you have immersed yourself in.
    What I have always enjoyed though are the skills of your models, especially in producing brilliant facial expressions that suggests these ladies can act a bit. They must enjoy and be very confident working with you
    Technically I can't find any fault with these shots. Oh go on then; maybe in the second shot her right hand is a bit bright.
    Soon, maybe, you may be able to full time with the photography?
    Tom, I've come to know you well over the years here on PR and aside from the great respect I have for your work, participation and your critique( and tactful but honest manner in which you deliver it) I also know that this is not a type of photography that you care for and so I'm ever more appreciative of your time to comment on it and help me see things from another pov.

Ironically, I'm not happy with where I am in my photography and really see this as a place i happen to be in right now in my venture into something else, of which I'm not sure what that is yet. I'm certain i do not want to be doing fashion or glamour and thats most likely why the models I work with are not the typical fashion models but rather "people I find interesting"

I'm always very respectful and professional with my subjects and so yes I think they are comfortable with me, but I also do tend to give direction as to "pose here, hold that, now turn head up and look off to main light with eyes" type stuff in the hopes of getting more character and less typical model looks.

Yes, actually both hands were a bit bright in that second shot and I had toned them down some but i think I can use to take that right hand down some more.

I'm not feeling that I can do this full time yet, and actually enjoy that I have the "luxury" of being able to go about it as i feel comfortable with. Perhaps in a few years when retirement comes along...

gary

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Well, they certainly create a reaction

I do not think anyone will remain without expressing an opinion

#2 and her facial features is my favorite , even while I find the hair style quite unlikeable, the eyes are impressive, along with the face lines

how long was the session? it should have taken some time to redo the hair/makeup between blue and red takes
    Armando, thanks much for that. I too like the facial features of the sceond and hoped that it could work for that reason if for none else. I'm totally with you on the hair!

The shoot was originally intended to last a full day but for a variety of reasons we were pressed for time. We actually got to do 3 dresses and a lingerie pinup look as well.

You are right about the styling changes taking time. The stylist I use was having a rough time of this session ( she is usually very fast and very good) and it took considerable time from the shoot for her to get a few different looks done.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    So this is a disaster?

#1 is the best of the bunch for me. The pose, the gaze, the colors... the hair! I like it a lot.

As for the other two, I think it's down to aesthetic preference: do you like the clothing, do you like the model's look, do you like the makeup? Because technically they're great. #2, particularly, is even more illustrated-looking that you're previous work. Love the look. I do agree with Jason that eyes are really wide open in that one - a little too DIHL, perhaps.

#3 works just fine for me.

The lighting and pp are fantastic in all of them - as usual.

Hate to turn it around, but what were you going for that you didn't get?
    Seth, Yep, Considering what the plans were for the day...

I agree with you and thought the same thing after posting that it probably comes down to do I like what she's wearing, her look, styling...its basically a simple white bg evenly lit shot that comes down to the appeal of the subject. Yeah, I'm gonna have a go at trying to slightly close the eyes in the sceond shot.

Well it was perhaps an overly ambitious shoot that got off to a late start and then continued at a slow pace due to the styling issues.
    I was provided 5 dresses from one of the top latex designers who just signed on to a major promotion agency(they handle Alexander Mcqueen and a host of other top designers) and so i really wanted to get them all in and shoot them on a dark background as well with a better variety of styling looks. One of my past shoots of a model wearing her designs was published in a feature of this designers works and according to her receives the most feedback from any other shot she has, so I feel her expectations of me were pretty high and in my opinion I feel that this shoot might have been a let down for her. In that regard, it was a disaster as well. I sent her 6 images from the 3 dresses we managed to get in and she sent them off to her agency and some other venues and gave me good praise on them, but I feel she is just being polite.

The bottom line was that our/my expectations were far from being met. I was hoping to at least have something for myself here as well, and maybe I do after all.

gary

I think it all works... look, make up, reaction, lighting.... nice.

personal preference... I would make the background just white instead of that gradient thing going on to make if more of a pin up style and makes all that colors pop out even more.... and burn the shadows on #3 to emphasize that she's not floating in white. I definetly was attracted to the highlights and reflections of the outfit.

I gather you did a little forming and cleaning on the edge of pic 2 and 3 .... would do a bit of feathering so it has a bit of imperfections to make it more realistic

now I'm curious after reading your explaination to Seth... can we see that image which was published and featured?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
    I think it all works... look, make up, reaction, lighting.... nice.

personal preference... I would make the background just white instead of that gradient thing going on to make if more of a pin up style and makes all that colors pop out even more.... and burn the shadows on #3 to emphasize that she's not floating in white. I definetly was attracted to the highlights and reflections of the outfit.

I gather you did a little forming and cleaning on the edge of pic 2 and 3 .... would do a bit of feathering so it has a bit of imperfections to make it more realistic

now I'm curious after reading your explaination to Seth... can we see that image which was published and featured?
    Thanks for that, Phil.

Actually only a little forming and cleaning on #2 and 3. The edges of latex tend to catch and reflect light especially when shot on white and gives a blurry edge appearance and so that was cleaned. Good eye. Your saying it looks a bit sharper than it should and I should give it a slightly softer edge?
    There was a lot of that done to the edge of the camera left of image #1 but if your sharp eye did not catch that it must be ok. Thanks for the good help here..

The image I was referring to in my response to Seth is linked here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyheller/5241872018/

Shot on dark gray. I was hoping to shoot these on dark gray as well but the way the clock was running i had to leave the white up and just run her through.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    Thanks for that, Phil.

Actually only a little forming and cleaning on #2 and 3. The edges of latex tend to catch and reflect light especially when shot on white and gives a blurry edge appearance and so that was cleaned. Good eye. Your saying it looks a bit sharper than it should and I should give it a slightly softer edge?
    There was a lot of that done to the edge of the camera left of image #1 but if your sharp eye did not catch that it must be ok. Thanks for the good help here..

Shot on dark gray. I was hoping to shoot these on dark gray as well but the way the clock was running i had to leave the white up and just run her through.
    your welcome.
    yes.. softer edge.

okay...so I saw the pic in your link.... just a comment, the dark background just makes everything pop. Now, why not change the background in PP and add a radial gradient in the middle to emulate the BG of your last pic? ...just a suggestion

Last edited by draymorton; 07-20-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Liban, I love your description of the highlights looking like a brand new toy! the "blown out hightlights" are very much a part of latex fashion and widely accepted and even embraced as per your description. The latex is polished with a special lube that makes it shine, and is provided to customers as well that buy these dresses.
    I'm with you on the order of appeal of these for me in 3,1, and 2. I'm glad I'm not alone on that
    Aah good to know. I would've never have guessed the lube part :thumbsup:
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

The model in the link looks a lot better, with a more pleasant expression. I think the model you have here looks a little bit dumb in her expression, especially in number 2. In 2 iher eyes and mouth have an especially dumb expression that is unflattering to the image. 1st and 3rd are better, but still have that dumb expression on. Technically good photographs but I think the model failed to look comfortable. The model in the link you posted looks outstanding though, very good.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Phil, I thought about swapping bgs but its not that i prefer the dark over the white its just i wanted some better variations in styling and hoped for a change in lighting set up when i went with gray, all of which did not get to happen. Might still give the dark swap a go.

Charlie, thanks for that although I disagree with the "dumb expression" description i do value and appreciate your pov. Yep, the model darenzia in my link is considered tops in this genre, and easy to see why.

If you all care to indulge me once more in an image from this session i'd like to get your quick feedback on it. i thought the pose worked but a friend of mine whose opinion i value much felt her head position looked awkward or uncomfortable. I still don't feel that.

Any thoughts in regard to the pose. Works or not at all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mona-mona-delux-1078.jpg  

gary

On the Flickr shot, which like all in this series is impressive, I found my eye wandering to her exposed thigh mainly because of the huge difference in skin tone and texture to the upper part of her body. The thigh looked a bit like leather.
    On your latest image above I think the pose is good but it all looks a bit too bright to me. Her facial expression looks a little unrelaxed and consequently I feel makes her look a little older.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I would prefer a pose with her arms not covering the product...like resting her left hand or wrist on her left hip.

I don't think her head looks uncomfortable....it works for me. I shoot high fashion and shoot a lot of uncomfortable poses from models as long as lines/shadows/ and forms looks cool. I think shooting latex should be shot like that too since it's usually use in artistic/high edgy fashion images.... that's my opinion

I think shooting at body level showcased the product a lot too.
    I shoot like that when it comes to catalog work.

Gary I think you are way to harsh on yourself. These are all wonderful shots. My only nit pik would be the diamond shaped lighting on the face of the first shot. Technically out of my element I don't know the fix. If I ever start to feel burnt out I take a roll of film and a fully manual camera and just go for long walks. I take a break from the digital rat race.
    I really like your portraits but like Tom I couldn't even attempt anything like this. To much of a team sport. The older I get the more of a recluse I become.LOL
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond View Post
    On the Flickr shot, which like all in this series is impressive, I found my eye wandering to her exposed thigh mainly because of the huge difference in skin tone and texture to the upper part of her body. The thigh looked a bit like leather.
    On your latest image above I think the pose is good but it all looks a bit too bright to me. Her facial expression looks a little unrelaxed and consequently I feel makes her look a little older.
    Tom, yes I agree about the exposed thigh on the linked image. Actually, that was an older edit on flickr but had since been edited and updated as was the one that went to publish. i have just now replced the flickr image with the edited version and i think that issue has been remedied to an extent. I'm not sure why that was in the first place. The original image out of camera has her thigh with goose bumps and I think the polish that is used to put latex on was also on her thigh combining to bring that look. Some airbrushing done in the edit I believe took a lot of that away.

I agree the model in this image looks older with the pose but its also a factor of the styling which was an issue throughout.

Thank you.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
    I would prefer a pose with her arms not covering the product...like resting her left hand or wrist on her left hip.

I don't think her head looks uncomfortable....it works for me. I shoot high fashion and shoot a lot of uncomfortable poses from models as long as lines/shadows/ and forms looks cool. I think shooting latex should be shot like that too since it's usually use in artistic/high edgy fashion images.... that's my opinion

I think shooting at body level showcased the product a lot too.
    I shoot like that when it comes to catalog work.
    Phil, yep couldn't agree more about her arm over the dress...
    I'm happy to know your ok with her head position. Really that was urking me because i felt it worked.

absolutely, shooting at body level was a must here not only for the product but because this model is a mere 5ft tall and there was no way I was going to attack the 3/4 and full length shots at eye level!
    Funny you mention that as well as I just posted a blog post that gets into camera height while shooting full body.
    Thank you for the time, Phil.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Gary I think you are way to harsh on yourself. These are all wonderful shots. My only nit pik would be the diamond shaped lighting on the face of the first shot. Technically out of my element I don't know the fix. If I ever start to feel burnt out I take a roll of film and a fully manual camera and just go for long walks. I take a break from the digital rat race.
    I really like your portraits but like Tom I couldn't even attempt anything like this. To much of a team sport. The older I get the more of a recluse I become.LOL
    Thanks Greg, i probably am but I feel i have to be because I'm not just pleasing myself here but a model, stylist and "client" and this is a highly competitive genre.
    Probably has a lot to do with me being in the rut...I like yourself prefer to be a recluse and shoot for the art and for what pleases me...which is quite a dilema i have myself into here with this.

You know, funny you mention that because i have been thinking on and off about picking up my Elan 7 and throwing in a roll of fuji superia 100 and getting back to some old school.
    I wish i were closer to you Greg as I'd love to go out and spend a day roaming the landscapes again

gary

Thanks Greg, i probably am but I feel i have to be because I'm not just pleasing myself here but a model, stylist and "client" and this is a highly competitive genre.
    Probably has a lot to do with me being in the rut...I like yourself prefer to be a recluse and shoot for the art and for what pleases me...which is quite a dilema i have myself into here with this.

You know, funny you mention that because i have been thinking on and off about picking up my Elan 7 and throwing in a roll of fuji superia 100 and getting back to some old school.
    I wish i were closer to you Greg as I'd love to go out and spend a day roaming the landscapes again
    That would be great Gary. If you ever get down this way look me up. In would love nothing more than to watch you in action.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information