Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Three Things With Wings

A bird, a bee and a butterfly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Things With Wings-1868x640.jpg   Three Things With Wings-2064x640.jpg   Three Things With Wings-2419x640.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Re: Three Things With Wings

Someone posted some every bit as good as these in the Nature and Wildlife forum so you have some stiff competition, LOL Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grandpa,

First thanks for leaving the comments. Always appreciated. Second, by including your LOL, can I assume you know the posting in the Nature and Wildlife Forum are also me? Sure, you know that. LOL. Thanks, again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer View Post
    Grandpa,

First thanks for leaving the comments. Always appreciated. Second, by including your LOL, can I assume you know the posting in the Nature and Wildlife Forum are also me? Sure, you know that. LOL. Thanks, again.

CF
    Yea, having the same exact pictures and person posting was a dead give away. Just messing with you. I really like that humming bird picture and think the only thing it needs is a nice mat and frame with a good location to hang it in, Jeff :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the good laugh!

CF
    Coastal Flyer

1. Is good. The only thing that hurts it for me is the colour of the bug. Black bugs (sorry don't know its name) don't work for me because it's hard to pull much detail out of them.

2. Is ok. the flying bug is k ind of small in the frame and the one that's on the flower kind of gets lost. Actually didn't see it at first glance.

3. Is Excellent! the bird, composition, big red flower, etc. all the elements work together really well.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Really love how the bird is framed with the flower!

I love that hummingbird image! The position, size and colour of the flower really sets it up. I wonder though about a little judicious cloning to remove the bit of leaf that overlaps with the wing? It looks like it wouldn't be a difficult job.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Thank you all very much for your comments. They are so very helpful.

Didache, I had considered doing just what you suggest but thought it gave a bit of three dimensional perspective to this tiny creature in a tiny space. I will give it a try though just to follow through on the idea. Thanks so much.

Leels: Understand your comment on black bugs (I do not know the name either) but when I saw the photo at home on the screen, and could see the pollen on its body, the lines of its thorax, fur on its head, the separation of the antenna, I thought there was sufficient detail to post the shot. However, I do understand what you are saying, and thanks very much for taking the time to leave all your thoughts.

David
    Coastal Flyer

GB1

Good work CF. It must take loads of patience to catch shots like this. Of course, putting yourself in the right place at the right time is an art unto itself. I like the hummingbird shot a lot but wish the wings were frozen.. Not that a little blur isn't good sometimes. The flower may steal the show a bit. The bee is also quite good.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB,

Thanks very much. I, too, wish the wings had been more frozen, but the flower and other image colors rather created a pleasant scene. So, I didn't feel too bad.

Thanks for your comments.

David
    Coastal Flyer

Beautiful work, David. Especially love that hummingbird image. The lighting and catch are outstanding.

One thing I wanted to mention is that it seems your crop dimensions are very odd. It would be best to crop them in common sizes such as 1x1, 4x5 (8x10), 5x7, 8.5x11, etc.
    Makes things easier overall.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    One thing I wanted to mention is that it seems your crop dimensions are very odd. It would be best to crop them in common sizes such as 1x1, 4x5 (8x10), 5x7, 8.5x11, etc.
    Makes things easier overall.
    Why??? This is one thing I don't understand. Why wouldn't you crop to the image rather than a standard? What does it make easier? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Gary/Oldclicker:

First, thanks for leaving your comments. Much appreciated. As for the cropping sizes, my computer skills are, shall we say, challenged. To be honest with you, I would not know where to begin to crop an image to a specific size. As such, my cropping efforts are to make the shot the most presentable, not what is standard or easiest to put in a frame. So, what I may post on this website is purely for showing the best photography I can and not what might be industry standards. Not sure what that does for me as a photographer, but it is my take on the question.

Again, thanks for the comments.

David
    Coastal Flyer

Thread Information