Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little Lamb

Re: Little Lamb

I like this latest version the best out of all of them, although I am also divided on the roof. The roof framing the top of the image somehow adds to the uniqueness of the scene, but at the same time I do see where Gary was coming from in saying that it gives away too much. Beyond the roof question, I think this last version is a winner all around.

not so little after all

I prefer the last edit with red lipstick and blue eye shadow

Impressive quality , both of the image and the creative process, and post processing

so many creative elements in this shot, the idea of having her holding the"little" lamb while wearing fancy garments and a nice make up

how the heck is the hair staying up like that, you did not ask her to jump while holding the lamb, right ?

really like the light foggy light and the opaque windows

also prefer the non moving limb

great job !!
    glad to see her eyes in color

One other nitpick that I don't know that matters all that much, but I wonder if the wrinkles on the fingers of the lower hand could be softened a bit. The wrinkles make her hand look like it's under strain (geez, can't imagine why ) but I think making her hand softer might fit the rest of her delicate softness better (and by soft I don't mean soft vs. sharp, I mean soft as in feminine). Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    not so little after all

I prefer the last edit with red lipstick and blue eye shadow

Impressive quality , both of the image and the creative process, and post processing

so many creative elements in this shot, the idea of having her holding the"little" lamb while wearing fancy garments and a nice make up

how the heck is the hair staying up like that, you did not ask her to jump while holding the lamb, right ?

really like the light foggy light and the opaque windows

also prefer the non moving limb

great job !!
    glad to see her eyes in color
    Thanks armando!

I wish I could change the title to "big-ass lamb." The thing isn't even technically a lamb.

Hair - the good old "Miss Aniela Hair Flip." With a little added backlighting.

Quote Originally Posted by BenWa
    One other nitpick that I don't know that matters all that much, but I wonder if the wrinkles on the fingers of the lower hand could be softened a bit. The wrinkles make her hand look like it's under strain (geez, can't imagine why ) but I think making her hand softer might fit the rest of her delicate softness better (and by soft I don't mean soft vs. sharp, I mean soft as in feminine). Just a thought.
    Dun and dunner!

Great observation - would never have crossed my mind. But you're totally right - the wrinkles in the hand look very out of place. I'll see what I can do to fix that.

Thanks!

Hello Seth
    I feel that she and the lamb are just too big in the frame. Having her somewhere else in the barn would work good.
    As usual, all your ideas throw up something original.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond View Post
    Hello Seth
    I feel that she and the lamb are just too big in the frame. Having her somewhere else in the barn would work good.
    As usual, all your ideas throw up something original.
    The operative phrase hopefully not being "throw up."

Thanks, Tom. This was cropped way, way, way in from the original, because I decided that I wanted the focus to be on the two subjects, as opposed to the location.

Wish I could go back and shoot her in another part of the barn, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Thanks again!

The last version is the winner for me. The blue eye shadow works with the red lips and lashes, as i hoped it might. I do like the comp better with the roof out. I love the way the interior looks especially above her head with the bending flap below the rafter.
    Rmoving the roof brings on one other nitpik now and that would be to have that rafter right above her head darkened. The entire rafter across the frame could be darkened but especially that brightest area right above her head.

I agree with Tom in that your ideas are always something very original.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I agree that the last edit is the best of the lot. Great suggestions Gary....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated.

Very creative, I like the edit as well. My only conceivable critique is perhaps a slight boost in the BG brightness and black point, as it looks a smidgen hazy. Can't think of anything else that could improve the image, excellent work dray!
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Thanks, Charlie. So are you essentially saying boost the bg contrast?

I was actually thinking about reshooting the entire bg if I got the chance. I'd originally envisioned something a lot different...

Sort of, but also thinking of the bg fill light, so yes added contrast but also specifically raising the mid-range. I was thinking the adjustments would reduce the haze a bit. Were you envisioning a more fully lit bg?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

i like it Seth...

I would just have her hair down neatly with that highlight behind her. (think Rober Palmer video "simplly irresistable) .

Clone out that white fabric near the right elbow

work out the contours on her arms(d & b) and even the folds of her skirt area... emphasizing the highlights...since you have that type of processing going on there.

and accentuate the highlights on the background too... just enough ..and not overpowering ... like those bars near the window.

all in all...this is a good concept.. I like it.

Thanks, guys.

Charlie - I could definitely do that, but the bg is noisy as hell. That's partially why I added haze. But I could try bringing up the mids and maybe use some NR.

What I had originally wanted was hay flying everywhere, basically.

Phil - thanks a lot for commenting. Your feedback is invaluable... particularly given the subject matter. I haven't done many "beauty"-type shots, so I need all the feedback I can get in making that element of this image as workable as possible.

The hair I could definitely change - she had her hair pulled back in the base image. Quite a different look.

Okay on adding highlights the arms and dress... though I'm terrible at contouring. I see what you mean... that the arm should match the face, processing wise.

Will work on the bg, too...

Not sure which part of the fabric should be cloned out... ?

p.s. took some of the red out of her skin, as well. Much better.
    Last edited by draymorton; 07-20-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information