Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Lamb

Little Lamb

One of two variations. Both in progress.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by draymorton; 07-17-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Re: Little Lamb

The biggest thug that bothers me is the lambs blurred leg, motion? I love the background and the windows.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks, Greg. So if I took away the blur... ?

This is a very intriguing shot. My first impression is that the she might be some sort of angel, but the wings are not on her back, but in her hair and her skirt. I really like that. I mean, really like that.
    There is something very special about this shot and I just can not find the right words right now.

Thanks arne.

This uploaded terribly. Don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    Thanks, Greg. So if I took away the blur... ?
    If you took the blur away I think it would be perfect. Just the lambs leg bothers me. The outside of the dress is blurred I hope fixing the leg wouldn't unbalance it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    If you took the blur away I think it would be perfect. Just the lambs leg bothers me. The outside of the dress is blurred I hope fixing the leg wouldn't unbalance it.
    Okay, thanks. Adding blur is such a tricky thing... really easy to screw up. I don't think it would necessarily unbalance things if I took it away.

Frankly I'm amazed your model could hang on to that thing ,its a pretty big lamb. She is doing a great job as they can be quite a hand full at times . I think this may have looked a bit better with a smaller lamb but that would have meant shooting this a couple of months earlier. Other than that its an amazing shot she looks like some so of earth goddess.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Quote Originally Posted by hminx View Post
    Frankly I'm amazed your model could hang on to that thing ,its a pretty big lamb. She is doing a great job as they can be quite a hand full at times . I think this may have looked a bit better with a smaller lamb but that would have meant shooting this a couple of months earlier. Other than that its an amazing shot she looks like some so of earth goddess.
    Knowing her, I wasn't that surprised.

Yeah, it was a big thing (the choices were few). And it got pretty restless. There were a couple of hairy moments.

Thanks, Pete.

Really impressed with this one. Love the softness around the edges and how sharp it is in the middle. I agree that the lamb's leg should be in focus, but don't get rid of the softness around the edges. The entire shot is pretty much amazing.

Another area which I think could be worked is immediately to the left of the lamb's head. that area of hte BG seems dark and contrasty while all the other areas of the BG are soft and way less contrasty. So I think either make everything else darker and with more contrast or just haze that area out a bit, which I think is the better option, since i really like the nice soft, less contrasty, hazy feel of the BG through out the shot.

awesome stuff.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thanks, Liban.

I added haze to this version and guess I missed that area. Pretty easy fix, if you think that haze/fog is the way to go...

I'll post the other version, too, for comparison.

Variation #1...

Variation #3...

I think i like the last one. variation 3. even though the difference between that and var. 1 is very small. but I think i see it. i noticed the lamb's leg is still blured, are you gonna undo that for the final or u decided against it?
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

Thanks. Yeah, the difference between the two variations (should have been 1 and 2 lol) is basically lip color and subtle eye work.

Nope, I'm gonna get rid of the blur. Just posted the variations mainly for the differences in face work.

ah. good that you pointed that out. definitely the dark lipstick. i knew i chose 3 for a reason! lol.

it goes very well with the BG (the lip colour that is)
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
    ah. good that you pointed that out. definitely the dark lipstick. i knew i chose 3 for a reason! lol.

it goes very well with the BG (the lip colour that is)
    So nix the "eyeshadow?"

Excellent work, Seth. I like what you did with the backlit hair situation from the original version i saw a while back. The lack of blur there and the light looks much better now.

I am not bothered by the lambs leg, as a matter of fact I like leg o lamb ;) Really, the blur doesn't bother me at all.

I am feeling the deep red lipstick is best. It somehow ties in the reds of the hair and brings a certain elegance to the subject that is flattering while still looking otherworldly. I do like the blue eye shadow best on her but not sure how that would combine with the red lipstick without seeing it.
    I am not feeling the sliver of roof showing at top and everytime I scroll up a bit to just cut it off I like the ambiance and mood of the image better. I feel like that little sliver of roof is giving away too much information, if that makes any sense. I like just seeing the immediate background and letting the imagination wonder where this all is and what the surroundings may be. It just gives me too much "location information" which is a very minor thing in this wonderful image, but it does come to my attention and so just sharing my thoughts on it.

All in all, its a fantastic piece that will still be great whatever minor adjustments you decide to bring to it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks, Gary. I'll crop out the roof and see how that looks. I totally see where you're coming from.

I'll also try combining the eye shadow and red lips in another variation. I like the black lips, but agree the red adds a much-needed dash of color and ties everything together.

On another note, how would you go about defining the right cheek bone?

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    Thanks, Gary. I'll crop out the roof and see how that looks. I totally see where you're coming from.

I'll also try combining the eye shadow and red lips in another variation. I like the black lips, but agree the red adds a much-needed dash of color and ties everything together.

On another note, how would you go about defining the right cheek bone?
    My first go at it would be to create a new layer in soft light mode and then using a soft black brush set at about 25% opacity just brush in a shadow underneath where her cheek bone would be. May also help to add some blush after that..

I just noticed something....under her right arm where we see the bottom of her blouse/top it looks as if her body is missing. That bit of triangular space above the dress and below the blouse should have the side of her stomach? unless I'm not seeing it for what it is.

gary

Thanks! Will give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    I just noticed something....under her right arm where we see the bottom of her blouse/top it looks as if her body is missing. That bit of triangular space above the dress and below the blouse should have the side of her stomach? unless I'm not seeing it for what it is.
    I don't know... that's the way it was in the raw file. Not sure what you're seeing.

I think what Gary is seeing is the hind hoof of the lamb (?) I looked for the triangle shaped spot that he was referring to and it took me a minute to figure out what it was.

I would also like to see a version with a non-blurred leg, and the deep red lipstick with eyeshadow -- just to see what it would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
    I think what Gary is seeing is the hind hoof of the lamb (?) I looked for the triangle shaped spot that he was referring to and it took me a minute to figure out what it was.
    Yes, thats exactly what it is. Thanks for figuring it out and clarifying.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
    Yup, that's it. Didn't know exactly where Gary was talking about at first...

I would also like to see a version with a non-blurred leg, and the deep red lipstick with eyeshadow -- just to see what it would look like.
    So you're partial toward the eyeshadow?

Red lipstick, eyeshadow, no roof, no motion blur on leg.

I'm divided on the roof - kind of framed things nicely, but I also agre that it may ground the image a little too much.

Motion blur - divided on this, as well. Maybe a less sloppy job would work?

Thanks again to whoever cares to offer feedback. Really trying to make this work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information