Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Infrared

Infrared

Hi guys, I'm sure the purists may not like the tinted infrareds, but thats what I do so.. heh sorry. I like them both ways. What is your opinion? Any ideas for me?
    Thanks, Kit
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Re: Infrared

heres a couple more..
    Last edited by shesells; 09-22-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Hi guys, I'm sure the purists may not like the tinted infrareds, but thats what I do so.. heh sorry. I like them both ways. What is your opinion? Any ideas for me?
    Thanks, Kit
    These are all nice pics. I've meant to try IR for awhile now... just for kicks!

I particularly like your first pic (the row of trees and the L-shape road). I would suggest though a tighter crop on the left and more stuff on the right (up to the point where the tree shadow is completely inside the frame).

The bull pic does not work for me. Too much highlight/shadow

Your last 2 pics are gorgeous. The last pic tree is HUGE! I wonder whether the color version would not be better. But then the grass might be too red and might merge with the tree canopy.... mmmhh. One thing that I love about IR is how the vegetation is red, and yet the sky becomes this deep blue... Would you mind posting them?unless of course you used some filters, in which case you're stuck with the BW.

Thanks for this nice post! it's not too often that we see IR shots!

Cheers,

Steph.

Steph: Thank you so much for looking at my pics and givine such a complete critique. I'm gonna try the crop you suggest , i also think that would look better. I'll post it tomorrow prob.. sorry ive been so busy tonight.

As for the last pic of the mushroom like tree. It was shot in infrared with the filters on so there was no color. I could probably fake it. heh I have more and will post a few tomorrow.

You would just love IR and I hope you get a chance to try it. I was just trying to figure out what the feeling is when I shoot it. I couldnt put my finger on it but finally figured it out. Looking through the lens, it takes your breath away, it's so like a world you've never seen. The actual feeling is like falling in love. lol I'm serious. It's thrilling. Thats why I'm hooked on it. I get to fall in love over and over. Try it, you'll like it.
    see ya later, Kit

I liike all of these Kit, except the shot of the Bull. Favorites being the " mushroom tree" and the "white trees withe the street lamp on the left. Great images, would not change anything.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

heres a couple more..
    These are exciting, Kit. The subtle tinting greatly enhances the work. I like the one with the birds a lot as well as the first and last trees.

The cow shot is interesting with the leaves against the form of the cow but maybe too much else in the shot.

The best of the bunch, for me, is the top one in the first set. Nice work.

I'm wondering if all the tree shots are a little too much of a blending of the sky with the subject. Maybe some way to add more contrast or tonal seperation?

Tuna

The effect of the IR "feels" like you've turned summer into winter. Wouldn't have a filter to do the opposite would you? Right about February I could use one.

HOW COOL! that's awesome...I don't really care for the ones in the first series...there sort of "snapshotty" the two in the second posting---THOSE are amazing...the "mushroom" tree and the textures (bet it makes a beautful print) and I like the warmth added(?) to the first with the sticks or branches...glad to see something new and exciting....although the "naughty grandma was pretty exhilirating
    ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Chunk..

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    These are exciting, Kit. The subtle tinting greatly enhances the work. I like the one with the birds a lot as well as the first and last trees.

The cow shot is interesting with the leaves against the form of the cow but maybe too much else in the shot.
    Chunk.. Thanks for noticing the leaves on the cow. I was wondering if anyone would. You gave me an idea to concentrate on that scenario in a crop but since it was taken from far away there is no detail in the cows (bull?) face. It may not work. I'm gonna try. That was what I liked about it too but all the other stuff is overkill, you're right. I'm glad you hear that you do like the tinting. I always go back and forth trying to decide which way to go. Also, I'm very happy that you called it a cow too. I'm so unfarmy that I thought it was too, till someone said bull. lol
    Kit

Nat...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    HOW COOL! that's awesome...I don't really care for the ones in the first series...there sort of "snapshotty" the two in the second posting---THOSE are amazing...the "mushroom" tree and the textures (bet it makes a beautful print) and I like the warmth added(?) to the first with the sticks or branches...glad to see something new and exciting....although the "naughty grandma was pretty exhilirating
    ;)
    lol Nat. Can't beleive you remember that. heh I've been surprized that people like the stick one. Not exactly an exciting subject. I haven't printed any of these yet but hope and pray they look as well. Thanks for telling me your opinion.
    Kit

gahspidy..

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I liike all of these Kit, except the shot of the Bull. Favorites being the " mushroom tree" and the "white trees withe the street lamp on the left. Great images, would not change anything.
    Gee, that's nice gahspidy! The streetlamp one is my own fav of these. Thank you for letting me know I'm on the right track.
    Kit

Tuna..

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    The best of the bunch, for me, is the top one in the first set. Nice work.

I'm wondering if all the tree shots are a little too much of a blending of the sky with the subject. Maybe some way to add more contrast or tonal seperation?

Tuna
    Thanks, I like that little tree too. It's all fluffy and cute. lol It's hard to find a balance with the contrast thing. I did try, but what happens is that it loses the IR feel which is soft and kind of blury originally because it's only the light that is captured. When I added contrast, the glow went away and it was also too sharp. So if you know how to get the effect you are picturing, let me know and I'll try it. Thank you Tuna.
    Kit

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Kit, These are really neat! I love infared... On yours I especially like the first one ( with the green tint) I agree with SB about a crop to that one, I would crop up just below the road though, and get rid of a little off the top to get rid of the other branches coming into the frame ( I think that's what it is?)
    I also like the birds on the limbs, and would crop tighter to fill the bottom frame with the leaves.. there are several crops that would work on that !
    On the next, the stark black of the lamp Post is cool compared to the white snowlandy trees.. Kinda makes me want more Lamposts!

Love what you did with the "sticks" photo, the sky color is awesome.. I like the Orange and Golden look ~

Thanks for posting these, Makes me want to go out and shoot IR!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

wposloski..

Quote Originally Posted by wposloski
    The effect of the IR "feels" like you've turned summer into winter. Wouldn't have a filter to do the opposite would you? Right about February I could use one.
    LOL! sorry, no. I wish I really could. Because ir makes it look like a winter wonderland is the very reason i love it so much. I have never seen snow in real life, I'm so fascinated with it . ( that's putting it mildly) Actually, when I look at these scenes in the viewfinder, I can hardly take the picture for wanting to just keep looking .Geez, if I ever get to really see snow, I'm gonna be rolling in it and eating it while it's falling on me because I've felt so snow deprived for so long, that I want it in me an on me and all around me at the same time.
    Kit

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Re: wposloski..

Getting Kinky with the snow eh?

Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    Kit, These are really neat! I love infared... On yours I especially like the first one ( with the green tint) I agree with SB about a crop to that one, I would crop up just below the road though, and get rid of a little off the top to get rid of the other branches coming into the frame ( I think that's what it is?)
    I also like the birds on the limbs, and would crop tighter to fill the bottom frame with the leaves.. there are several crops that would work on that !
    On the next, the stark black of the lamp Post is cool compared to the white snowlandy trees.. Kinda makes me want more Lamposts!

Love what you did with the "sticks" photo, the sky color is awesome.. I like the Orange and Golden look ~

Thanks for posting these, Makes me want to go out and shoot IR!
    Rachel, Thanks for all those tips! I am going to try the exact crop that you suggest. I'll also try Stephs and see what I like. I tried about 3 crops to the bird tree one, but can't decide which I like. Oh, you had to say the word Snowlandy didn't you? Now, I'm getting all gushy inside. The idea of that really being a snow scene makes my eyes glaze over.
    Thank you for liking my sticks but I thought you liked red better than orange or gold? (inside joke). I wish you would go out and try it! It's all just a big positive experience.
    Kit

Re: Chunk..

Chunk.. Thanks for noticing the leaves on the cow. I was wondering if anyone would. You gave me an idea to concentrate on that scenario in a crop but since it was taken from far away there is no detail in the cows (bull?) face. It may not work. I'm gonna try. That was what I liked about it too but all the other stuff is overkill, you're right. I'm glad you hear that you do like the tinting. I always go back and forth trying to decide which way to go. Also, I'm very happy that you called it a cow too. I'm so unfarmy that I thought it was too, till someone said bull. lol
    Kit
    Cow/Bull - I didn't study the silouette closely before posting- probably a steer. I think you will have trouble with a closer crop because of the large tree trunk growing out of it's back. You're just going to have to go back for a reshoot and shoot from a different angle or have your model pose by a different section of fence.

LOL Clicker!

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    Getting Kinky with the snow eh?

I didn't realize that last sentence sounded so sensual. heh, now that's desperate!
    Kit

Re: Tuna..

Thanks, I like that little tree too. It's all fluffy and cute. lol It's hard to find a balance with the contrast thing. I did try, but what happens is that it loses the IR feel which is soft and kind of blury originally because it's only the light that is captured. When I added contrast, the glow went away and it was also too sharp. So if you know how to get the effect you are picturing, let me know and I'll try it. Thank you Tuna.
    Kit
    Hi Kit. If you have Photoshop, you could try a fairly non-degenerative method that gives some gradient control - such as adding a contrast layer. I tried it and it worked for me but I will let you decide if you like it. It seemed to keep intact the nice IR feel but punched up the contrast.

Click on LAYER, then DUPLICATE LAYER.
    IMAGE - ADJUST - INVERT.
    Change "normal" to "overlay" in the lower right box. Set opacity to 80%.
    FILTER - BLUR - GAUSSIAN BLUR.
    Now, the slider will allow you to see the results. I set your photo to about 200 and it looked pretty good.
    When you're done, remember to go to LAYER - FLATTEN IMAGE in order to save as a jpeg.

If you don't have Photoshop and would like me to post the results, please let me know.

Tuna
    Last edited by Tuna; 10-11-2004 at 11:58 AM. Reason: forgot a step...

Hi Kit. If you have Photoshop, you could try a fairly non-degenerative method that gives some gradient control - such as adding a contrast layer. I tried it and it worked for me but I will let you decide if you like it. It seemed to keep intact the nice IR feel but punched up the contrast.

Click on LAYER, then DUPLICATE LAYER.
    IMAGE - ADJUST - INVERT.
    Change "normal" to "overlay" in the lower right box. Set opacity to 80%.
    FILTER - BLUR - GAUSSIAN BLUR.
    Now, the slider will allow you to see the results. I set your photo to about 200 and it looked pretty good.
    When you're done, remember to go to LAYER - FLATTEN IMAGE in order to save as a jpeg.

If you don't have Photoshop and would like me to post the results, please let me know.

Tuna
    Tuna, we must have the same book! heh, i read that exact method in one of my ps books and have used it a lot. I didn't think to ever use it on IR though because they are already inverted in a way. Dang, I'm gonna try it. I'll let you know. Feel free to post yours in the mean time, so I can compare. Thanks again Tuna,
    Kit

Tuna, we must have the same book! heh, i read that exact method in one of my ps books and have used it a lot. I didn't think to ever use it on IR though because they are already inverted in a way. Dang, I'm gonna try it. I'll let you know. Feel free to post yours in the mean time, so I can compare. Thanks again Tuna,
    Kit
    The second one is the one I worked on. A bit of added contrast?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The second one is the one I worked on. A bit of added contrast?
    Yep, it looks just like the one I worked on. Duh, of course it would it was the exact numbers you used. lol Well anyway. this is what I think. It definately does add more contrast but makes it not so light and airy. I also think it makes it a bit sharp when IR is by nature soft. I tried fading the blur some and I think that helps. I do like how it looks, I just don't know which I like better. What I'll do is try it on some of the other images. In the past, I've used that method when a photo needs color or light brought out and it works beautifully. Thanks for bringing it up. I gotta stare at the two for awhile and decide.
    Kit

Kit,
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Guess you need some advice from someone who sees more snow than he cares to. Remember: Don't eat the yellow snow!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wposloski
    Kit,
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Guess you need some advice from someone who sees more snow than he cares to. Remember: Don't eat the yellow snow!
    Bill
    lol Bill! so i've heard.. heh

Thread Information