Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Honeymooners against a sunset backdrop

(as long as seem to be on a sunset theme here...)

This couple asked us to take their picture against the sunset with their camera. I did, and then I asked them to take one of my husband and I with my camera, but before I gave it to them I used them as models to get my settings right. I was so pleased with this picture that I got their email address and sent it to them.

I think the sunset behind them is amazing. It's almost too perfect, as if they were standing in front of a studio backdrop.

What do you think? Comments, please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honeymooners against a sunset backdrop-honeymooners.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Opinionated Newbie
    That man is huge!

Sunset is nice too I can't help but to wonder what a golden reflector would have done for to reduce the "shadow" on the couple. Other than that, the shot is very nice.

That man is huge!
    His friends are professional major league athletes. I don't know if he is, he didn't say.

learning member
    Hello Kellybean ,

I like this shot a lot ! The background is very beautifull with the couple in front .
    You have done well here !
    Since you have practice with the couple as models why don't you send the one of yourself
    and your husband ?
    Greetings
    james

[

Oh, most definitely a nice shot, but it has too much of snapshot look to it.
    I would rather like them see them holding each other and staring towards the sunset without the "say cheese" smile. I'm not so fond of using flash in combination with sunsets, but that's just personal. You might consider to go for a tighter crop on right and bottom side. It makes the pose more intimate and you'll get rid of the cable which in my eyes works against it.

Thanks for sharing Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by jcharris
    Hello Kellybean ,

I like this shot a lot ! The background is very beautifull with the couple in front .
    You have done well here !
    Since you have practice with the couple as models why don't you send the one of yourself
    and your husband ?
    Greetings
    james

[
    James, we are not photogenic. Besides, the "big guy" committed the cardinal sin of photography: dead-centering us, which I *HATE* and yet I have no control over when others take my picture.

So in our picture, the sun is hiding in the very upper-left corner of the shot, our necks are dead-center and our toes are cut off. The flash is reflecting off our glasses and off my chin. And the horizon is oddly slanted, even though the foundation at our feet is straight.

Not to mention that I hate pictures of myself right now.

learning member
    Hi Kelly

I was not really serious !
    I feel the same way as you about being " photogenic " That is why i rather look at someone else photo's .
    Anyway - it is a very beautiful place where you took those photo's.

Regards
    james

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    You did well to get the lighting right ! dsid you use fill in flash or any kinda reflector.The more i look the more i like it.
    Bobby

Yep, fill in flash, just the one on the top of the camera.

I wasn't trying to get "this" shot right at all. I just wanted to make sure the lighting was right and that the flash would trigger. I was absolutely not interested in the subject at all. They posed because they just got married and I guess they were used to posing...

As I walked around the resort with my camera, I met some interesting people because of it. One newlywed couple thought I was a professional hired by the resort. Another time some guy started chatting me up about cameras, he was admiring mine while at the same time showing his off. I found out later that he was Ray Parker, Jr. (of "Ghostbusters" fame).

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Wow Kelly !! A professional !! You must look the part and if they could see your work too they would definitely be convinced.I have been mistaken for the same at weddings etc because i will take the time to set up people in groups and move them or their bits till i am sure i like what i am about to shoot.Someone once asked what newspaper i worked for !! I once travelled 400 miles to see a soccer match and ended up going to see Ghostbusters !!!
    Bobby

Thread Information