Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

sunset that didnt end up so well

this sunset was amazing and there was coloring that was awsome can anyone explain to me why and the heck didnt the colors show up on this if u look on the horizen u can kinda see orengish coloring i need help on this one foreal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sunset that didnt end up so well-sunset-1.jpg   sunset that didnt end up so well-sunset-2.jpg  
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Might be caused by a couple of factors. For starters that looks like a pretty overcast sky, even if the horizon had some cloud breaks. If everything over your head was solid grey (or most of it was), you'll get washed out shots like this one.

Also, sometimes camera sensors (or film) can have a hard time picking up very subtle gradations of color. Our eyes are much more advanced than any camera, and automatically compensate in certain situations to make things more vivid. For example our brain knows that sunsets are supposed to have vivid colors in the clouds, so sometimes it will literally interpret light seen by the eye as more than what is actually there.

The same thing happens when you look in the mirror. Ever notice people often times don't like the way they look in pictures but never say that they don't like to look in the mirror? It's because our brains have built up a mental picture of "what we look like" that has been molded over years and years. And so when we look in the mirror, we see a version of ourself that our brain says is "correct". But the camera has no such bias, it simply records light.

That's a long-winded way of saying that what you perceived as a vivid orange sunset, might not have actually had vivid levels of light associated with it.

;)
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

wow puck u realy explained that well thanks alot, very very deep, have u ever done drugs as a teenager not to be rude, jw in like a funny way
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

I only do LSD on Mondays and Wednesdays... I swear.

;)

Seriously, you can read about those types of perceptual tricks that the mind plays on us in psychology books and other places. It's amazing sometimes what our brains trick us into seeing or even hearing. As I mentioned though, most likely that flat exposure was caused by too overcast a sky (at least, it looks that way from what you posted).
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

well yeah it was realy over cast that weekend i was there it was horrible i was there to go turckey hunting and it rained the whole time and it was 40 degres and guess what im from florida and im use to hot weather, it was a big change let me tell u
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

40 degrees in Florida (or anywhere down south) is definitely a cold snap. 40 degrees where I'm from is called "Spring". But, I play as much hockey as I can, and it's always cold in there no matter what time of year, so I get used to it somewhat.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

oooo im sorry im talking about indiana i live in florida, i was talkin about the pic
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Can you list more technical info about the shot - film (and what kind) or digital? With film, I've had best luck getting results from slide film like Fuji Velvia. Color negative film doesn't usually work too well due to the "corrections" that the lab does.

It's possible with digital too. First choice would be to shoot in RAW if your camera and software supports it. Second choice would be to try it in "sunny" mode and "overcast" mode. Those white balances aren't technically correct, but you're trying to fool the camera into making those vivid colors.

You didn't worry about this with film because it was always set for "sunny" mode (pretty close analogy, anyway) unless you specifically bought tungsten film.

Thread Information