Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Flowers in Mixed Light

Hi All,

Another submission of flowers and candles. This time there is also natural dawn light diffusing through shades. I liked the effects, but wished that I had things more centered. I spent too much effort trying to get the tripod level (I think it's time to get a real tripod). Also, I know that the window sash in the BG is distracting.

BR,
    Tim

p.s. I can see why real photographers have studios...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flowers in Mixed Light-dsc_4359flowersmixedlightsmall.jpg  
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Re: Flowers in Mixed Light

I really like the soft light on the flowers and vases. Nice mood.
    ----------------------------

Reminds me of my sleepless night photos - i'm always playing with candle light and flowers! lol As for the tripod - look for a manofrotto with levels built in! The only thing that was distracting for me was the candle in front - how does it look cropped in to just the flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hi All,

Another submission of flowers and candles. This time there is also natural dawn light diffusing through shades. I liked the effects, but wished that I had things more centered. I spent too much effort trying to get the tripod level (I think it's time to get a real tripod). Also, I know that the window sash in the BG is distracting.

BR,
    Tim

http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Liz

I think this is very effective - nice composition and lighting. I did wonder how it would look with a totally black or darker color background. Very nice

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hi All,

BR,
    Tim

This is much better then your first. The reflection off this table is just great, and it's a well composed shot in regards to symmetry. I love the colors, very nice.

Just overall, a great shot,

Jared

Your on the verge of getting a great fine art image, but its not quite there yet. The lighting is great and the reflections and colors the strong points. . The candle in front should be eliminated. The candles on the sides might work better if they were a little shorter and evenly spaced from the vase. Centering the whole image is important here as well. The far edge of the table should remain as it is, just below center. Do not let the candles stand directly in front of the vertical window sill line, as it is on the right. Also, try using as little dof as you can to blur the bg to subdue the somewhat annoying details You have the benefit of taking all the time you need to set this up , so pay attention to all the details. Your image has great potential and I like where this is going. Keep it up
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Actually, I think I would like the composition without the candles at all. If they could be placed just enough out of the frame but still throwing some light at the scene, it might be best.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I agree that there are distractions, things you could change to make a better picture, but what I like about this is the quality of the light. I wonder if you took this picture from a different angle, put the flowers in front of the window but they'd be off to the side, and the candles would be to their left (or right) against a darker background.

Rather than centering it, because you will ALWAYS be fighting that sash.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Hi,
    I like the colour especially the front yellow candle. It is very eye-catching.
    yoyo

Hi all,

Thanks for the great critiques. I'm currently on the road and apologize for not responding sooner.

I took over 40 shots of that still life with various poses. I like about 5 of them, but wouldn't want to bore this board with too many submissions. I like the candle in front because of how it lights the flowers from underneath and because of how it's light is reflected off the two side candlesticks. To me, this seemed to anchor the composition when compared to those shots where the reflection were not caught in the candle sticks.

I did shoot close-ups of just the flowers (no candles), but they just look flat with an incorrect white-balance. I think the candles are important in the image because they help explain the odd light -- for me. (It's funny, but candles seem to be this poor man's lighting system. It's been fun moving them about to see how they change the presentation.)

Sooner or later I will get more serious with backgrounds. I'm currently well challenged by the exposure/DOF/white-balance/etc with this type of lighting -- as well as incorporating composition ideas from everybody's great comments here. A pet-peeve I have with the D70 is the DOF limitations. I can get a more narrow DOF with my 35mm SLR, than I can with the D70 (because of the "crop factor"). This shot is wide open (F3.8 on the kit lens) at 24mm. I was hoping the background would be more blurred out. In hind-sight, I should have stepped back and zoomed in.

While I'm on this subject, another pet-peeve I have with the D70 is the small viewfinder. I find it a hindrance when using intensely with a tripod. After a while, a good amount of time is needed for my eyes to refocus when I back from the camera. I also find it more difficult to manually focus and would appreciate a split prism or something on the focusing screen.

Don't get me wrong about the D70, I have enjoyed using it tremendously. The ability to squeeze 40 shots of flowers on my dining room table and then immediately go look at the results is very liberating. I will not go back to film. It's just that a full sized CCD and a bigger viewfinder would put this thing over the top.

Janie, thanks for the tripod recommendation. I'll check it out. Besides a level, I want one that allows one to easily make fine adjustments to the various tilt angles.

Thanks again all,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Great job.
    This is a great composition and I love everything about it except the background. If the bg would of been blurred it would of blown me away. I'm not one for color, but this works for me and love how warm it is.
    40 shots is a lot and I can see why everyone is going to digital...I had a expensive weekend with my film camera shooting a roll of 36.
    Keep working on this concept and keeping us informed on the progress.
    Cheers.

Really lovely tone to this Old School and a lovely set up.
    I could be wrong here but I am wondering if it would be better without the candles; the flame of one of the candles is lost in the background. Personally I would exclude the candles and crop about an inch from the bottom. Beautifully captured though.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thread Information