Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

what to add to 2 light basic kit

I currently have a basic 2 light studio kit. It has two 500 Watt, 10" diameter lights. I have not really used them at all (translate - complete beginner).

The few times I tried them, they didn't seem to produce much light, and what light they did put off seemed cold and harsh. I would like to add a nice soft light, and I'm wondering what anyone recommends.

Since I wish to photograph children (and they are constantly moving), do I need a flash unit to 'freeze' the motion?

Also, does anyone know if you can buy diffusers for the basic lights mentioned above?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: what to add to 2 light basic kit

Your question is about one of the biggest factors in choosing your lighting setup. The answer is yes you do need strobes. Your hot lights don't produce as much liight as strobes and that's why you are having problems with output and movement. They force you to use your lens wide open and that decreases depth of field and your subject better not move. To freeze the subject strobes are the only way to go. I'm sure there are some members here who will defend the use of hot lights but they are more trouble than they are worth. To get the results close to strobes you need powerful continuous lights and they are expensive. You can also use flourecent lights but the good ones are expensive too. To answer your other question about diffusers you will have to check the maker of your lighting system and see what they have. With continuous lights they are hot and you have to be careful with whatever you use to diffuse the light.

To be blunt your starting out to do something that takes some knowledge and experience to make it work. You'll have to get some books on lighting and practice a lot to start getting consistant results. If you are using strobes in a studio setting you'll need a meter and learn how to use it. Here's a few sites that have info on using and setting up strobes.

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...yersguideid=26

http://www.bhwebphotoschool.com/

http://www.studiolighting.net/

http://jzportraits.home.att.net/

Good luck!

Re: what to add to 2 light basic kit

Thank you.

I appreciate what you say about practice ... I know it will take a long time to understand the lights and get them to produce the look I want. But I have to have the lights before I can start my practice, so hopefully now I can plan what I need and start from there.

I agree with you about continuous lighting ... I find it hot and it seems so inefficient.

Thank you for all the helpful websites. I look forward to reading them and I appreciate the time you took to share them with me.

Thread Information