Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Fisheye Rainbow

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Fisheye Rainbow

Here is my first photo from my recent vacation. This was shot with a 16mm fisheye, which caused the horizon to curve upwards, but I don't mind it in this photo.

What are your thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fisheye Rainbow-img_5026.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Fisheye Rainbow

That just about made the trip worthwhile, I bet. Good shot. I agree about the horizon. If anything it echoes the bow itself.
    ----------------------------

Great shot, and I love the fisheye effect. Very neat shot and totally uncliche! My one critique would bring the rainbow out especially as it reaches the centre. With the clouds, you seem to lose the fisheye effect, but if you could some how define the rainbow throughout it, you'd get a lot stronger fisheye image.

Great shot regardless and nice, unique shooting,

Jared

Very nice. The fish eye ads to the curvature of the rainbow. I really like how vivid the colours of the rainbow are on the right side.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look and comment.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Hi Michael,

That is a very nice capture. However, this image looks as if you trying to avoid the appearance of the lens distortion. I say, let's welcome it! Did you take any others? I'm thinking one with the horizon a little higher to produce a little more distortion on the landscape.

None the less, it is a nice image. For PP, I'd try and make the rainbow pop a little more (a tough thing to do at times). Have you played with curves and/or saturation on this?

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thanks for your input Tim. I don't think I have any other fisheye shots that show the horizon at a higher level do to there being a lack of anything photo worthy in the FG. I shot this in a parking lot, and my goal was to get rid of the parking lot, and the semi trailer sitting in it, fence posts, etc. as I thought they would be major distractions, to a tranquile shot. As for post processing, I did very little to this image. If I remember correctly, I did bump up the saturation just a tad, but I didn't want to go overboard and make the image look manipulated. I also decreased the shadow a bit to add a touch of color to the tree. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. I really appriciate your input and suggestions!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

And it is a very nice and tranquile shot at that...
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information