Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First real waterfall picture...

Wend out and did this with the tips I got here. This was about 10 minutes after sundown. Selective Colors have been adjusted in photoshop, and it's uncropped. Gotta decide how I want to print it.

10 seconds, f/22, 84mm, 100 iso

A good craftsman never blames his tools.

The question I ask of this picture, and it a nice well done picture, is, where does it begin and where does it go to. Those elements to me are missing in the image. It is missing the top and bottom bits. I take it you took the image with converntial landscape mode, that is the flash on top, try turning the camera 90degrees and seeing the image that way.

I love the earthy colours and the veiling of the water, very nice.

This is a good clear shot with nice exposure and effect on the running water. As I was cropping it in my browser, it seems to me it would look best cropped enough on the left and right side to bring this into a vertical frame. The running water and it's soft milky appearance from the long exposure would become the focus and it seems to me to work best as a vertical. I know by cropping it that much will limit your print size, but just my opinion. Nice work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Well I think I'll go back and do a vertical shot of it too. For the bottom and top, I am not sure how much more I can get, but I can try it. There really isn't any more waterfall though, here's what it actually looks like. I can go back and take some more and see what I come up with.

Now Sean, that's better, but the lighting is a little flat. What type of post processing are you doing with the photos.

There you go, the water at the bottom of the fall. I like this shot better than the first because I can see the ends, so to speak. Try a vertical and include the pond or little body of water thats at the bottom, and wait for a setting sun or early in the morning, a time of day that will warm the tones or cast shadows.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

the 2nd photo wasn't processed at all, it was taken during the day just for a refrence shot. I will go back maybe tonight to do another long exposure. I'll see if I can't include more top and bottom, and orient it to a portrait.

Liz

Talking Waterfall........

Sean,
    I love the colors here. I actually like the photo as it is. I can see where everyone is coming from about changing composition and trying other angles. But you did a good job. I would say it's certainly a keeper.

BTW, did you shoot this with the 17-40 - that wonderful "L" lens? How do you like it?

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    Wend out and did this with the tips I got here. This was about 10 minutes after sundown. Selective Colors have been adjusted in photoshop, and it's uncropped. Gotta decide how I want to print it.

10 seconds, f/22, 84mm, 100 iso

No that's actually at 84mm... the 17-40 was way too short since that was as close as I could get. I would love to try and shoot it with the L lens though.

I printed this out for fun, and now the blue water looks a little fake and... tacky. I fixed it to more of a white/silver tone, but I don't want to print it again, way too much ink. Oh well.

Nice Pic

very nice job in the lighting, the coloring of the rocks are good, the water looks like it was done on the computer, kinda blue but its okay nice job, i would buy it

Thread Information