Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: First post

First post

Well this is my first post and I want to see what all you fine people think of my photo. Just to let you know the image has gone through some slight photo retouching.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: First post

I like the idea behind this shot, as I have attempted it myself. I would like to see the bee's in sharp focus tho. Looks like you could have used a little more depth of field to capture some of the detail in the bees.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hello

Welcome to the site!

Comp it look like you've got a great set-up here, but I think your focus was a tad behind your subject. You can see your flower "center" (the correct term slips my mind ) is in focus but your main subject - the bee in front - is out of focus, which is unfortunate.

I, too have shot like this before, and I know it's tough to get these little guys in focus they move so fast (try catching them flying!) I'd have a fast lens and good camera to minimize focusing time - for autofosuc - or try pre-focusing for manual focus.

You've done several things right here, like minimizing background clutter for a pleasing composition and having a sufficient amount of magnification to make for an interesting photo. I think you've got the idea, just keep at it!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Welcome! I would agree with the first two posters. It's a good idea but a very difficult shot. I recently shot a praying mantis in macro mode and with over 100 exposures I got one or two where the key features on the insect and the surrounding foliage where properly focused. I think even those one or two were just luck.

Well I had a similar event where I shot about a 100 or so of bee pictures and only got one really good one in focus where you can see the bee's head. The other shot I really love as a desktop background. Something about the two bees not in focus really attracted me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This could be a really great picture. I would have tried to get the front bee sharp and if possible also be rear bee. I also would try to get rid of the dead stem in the background and crop it a bit tighter on the right side.

Greg

Thread Information