Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Too dark?

Too dark?

Once again, another photo I'm not quite sure if I like. For one thing, I have a laptop, and so it's basically impossible to properly calibrate my monitor, so I never know if stuff is too dark. Plus, I'm not sure if it's a good composition or not...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Too dark?-_dsc0398_filtered.jpg  

Re: Too dark?

I have my monitor set to as bright as it can get and its a great shot! I quite like it actually! repeating patterns, great colours and the road to lead your focus. You'd want to lighten it up if you print it probably though.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Like this a lot...

This is a classic case of breaking the rules, and getting away with it... ;)

On my monitor, there is just enough detail in all the dark areas to be able to "read" them, and that is very much the way your eyes work in real life when you're experiencing a dusk or dawn scene. It's that wondeful time when you get the first or last delicate light of the day and have that immense glow off in the distance.

As for the composition, you have no idea how close you came to one of the worst possible photo mistakes. Or maybe you do.

A photo that places the horizon in the center and has a strong vertical element in the middle the other way will segment the frame into quarters. That's boring and definitely a big no no.

But you somehow have these lines just slightly off center, and it in effect creates a very nice composition. If you look at the left horizon line, the pole, the right horizon line, and the road, they more resemble the spokes of a wheel (or windmill), and enjoy a small visual "overlap" that is pretty interesting and leads the eye deeper into the shot.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Like this a lot...

I actually avoided centering the poles and horizon on purpose, but it's tough not making it too obvious. Like you said, it's close...Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Information