Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Company Rest

Company Rest

I went to a Civil War (actually, they referred to it as The War Between The States) battle reinactment today. Between maneuvers, the Union boys took a break.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Company Rest-9590pr.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Re: Company Rest

Great shot. I like the clarity of the image and your dof.

"Pictures you have taken have an influence on those that you are going to make. That's life!"
    - John Sexton

Ptax,

Thanks very much. I appreciate your comment.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

wannabe

Hope you dont mind , but I took the liberty to change it into a high contrast black and white on CS3, Ive been trying to learn on it. I thought it looked great like this also. You did a great shot
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

racedraper:

I do not mind at all. In fact, I spent a bit of time last night doing the very same thing. Just hadn't posted yet. Thanks for the creative suggestion, I think it makes for a whole new photo.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

CF

Where was this taken at? I love history and would love to see this show...

The black and White does not work for me at all....Sorry, but the blue pants tell me who won this war...

personally, I would have liked to have seen more of the soldiers or even the guns...The colors and sharpness as usual is great from you..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

I like the B&W edit. The first boot seems a little out of focus like your focusing point was just past it. I do like the idea and angle. Nice to see you back CF.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think focus is on the lock of the first rifle, rather then on the first boot.
    I don't mind that at all.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

drg

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    I went to a Civil War (actually, they referred to it as The War Between The States) battle reinactment today. Between maneuvers, the Union boys took a break.
    Damn Yankees!! We all know it is the War of Northern Agression! Wait a minute, I'm a Yankee.

Good non-typical photo that captures the essence of both your title and a moment in the event!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. Feedback is what it is all about, I really appreciate each of your efforts. The focus is/was on the first rifle as that line seemed more important than the line of boots. I had to choose a point where I wanted the eye to begin and I choose the rifle. The b/w version certainly changes the entire feel of the shot, and appreicate racedrapper taking a moment to give us that. DRG, this was taken in Vista, Ca., at the Antique Steam and Gas Engine Museum. The implements are spread out in large fields suitable for a battle reenactment also.

I am glad to be back also. I had some family issues to get under control (father's declining health). Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Just Lurking

CF - I like the color version. You've set up the patterns throughout the shot very nicely. I think if you're going to go B&W I'd probably opt for the whole distressed look instead of a simple B&W, but I usually go overboard on these things anyway.

I'm sorry to hear about your father and I hope things are improving.

PC

MB1

That is a nice strong image and the color works for me. I like that there are only about 4 elements and colors in the thing with nice graphic lines.

It's a keeper.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Prevailing Conditions/MB:

Thanks both of you for your comments. Much appreciated. Thanks also PC for the nice words regarding my father. I have reached that time of life where we become our parents keeper. I am so very lucky that we live so close and able to be there at this time.

Thanks again.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Thread Information