Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    MB1

Bike Reflections

Yes, I have already cropped this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Reflections-00.jpg  
    No, I DON'T need that.

Re: Bike Reflections

Great angle. Excellent color saturation. Interesting composition with the reflection. IMO, the photo would be better if the smoke stack wasn't there (or retouched out). Why? Because it detracts from the main subject. Very nice job.
    Robert

Very nice, I like the low angle and reflection and ultimately the overall less is more aspect of this. Before reading the comment from freedom1500 I thought the smoke stack and reflection looked good and helped maintain a balance to this other wise centered image. After reading the comment I tried cropping of the stack with the browser and it also looked fine. I think either way, with or without works for me. Without has a cleaner look and all emphasis on the rider, but at the same time seems to have the image centered all too much. It is a give and take, but both ways offer up a good image.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

MB1

I like the aspect of the cyclist towering over the buildings-I think the smokestack adds perspective. If I cropped from a side I think I would have to match with a crop from the other side or end up with a really unbalanced image,
    No, I DON'T need that.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Leave the stack in, it indicates location and makes a sort of finish line for the eyes. It adds interest for me since I can't see the face of the rider. Were you in Alexandria or Anacostia?
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

MB1

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst
    Leave the stack in, it indicates location and makes a sort of finish line for the eyes. It adds interest for me since I can't see the face of the rider. Were you in Alexandria or Anacostia?
    Anacostia under the Douglas bridge.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom1500
    Great angle. Excellent color saturation. Interesting composition with the reflection. IMO, the photo would be better if the smoke stack wasn't there (or retouched out). Why? Because it detracts from the main subject. Very nice job.
    Robert
    I think the smokestack adds some balance to the image, especially since the rider is pretty much centered.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Thread Information