Company Rest

Printable View

• 03-08-2008, 11:34 PM
    Coastal Flyer
    1 Attachment(s)
    Company Rest
    I went to a Civil War (actually, they referred to it as The War Between The States) battle reinactment today. Between maneuvers, the Union boys took a break.
  • 03-08-2008, 11:54 PM
    Ptax
    Re: Company Rest
    Great shot. I like the clarity of the image and your dof.

"Pictures you have taken have an influence on those that you are going to make. That's life!"
    - John Sexton
  • 03-09-2008, 12:18 AM
    Coastal Flyer
    Ptax,

Thanks very much. I appreciate your comment.

CF
  • 03-09-2008, 09:15 AM
    racedraper
    Hope you dont mind , but I took the liberty to change it into a high contrast black and white on CS3, Ive been trying to learn on it. I thought it looked great like this also. You did a great shot
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5430/bwriflexf5.jpg
  • 03-09-2008, 10:09 AM
    Coastal Flyer
    racedraper:

I do not mind at all. In fact, I spent a bit of time last night doing the very same thing. Just hadn't posted yet. Thanks for the creative suggestion, I think it makes for a whole new photo.

CF
  • 03-09-2008, 12:34 PM
    jgredline
    CF

Where was this taken at? I love history and would love to see this show...

The black and White does not work for me at all....Sorry, but the blue pants tell me who won this war...

personally, I would have liked to have seen more of the soldiers or even the guns...The colors and sharpness as usual is great from you..
  • 03-09-2008, 02:40 PM
    Greg McCary
    I like the B&W edit. The first boot seems a little out of focus like your focusing point was just past it. I do like the idea and angle. Nice to see you back CF.
  • 03-09-2008, 03:29 PM
    SmartWombat
    I think focus is on the lock of the first rifle, rather then on the first boot.
    I don't mind that at all.
  • 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
    drg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    I went to a Civil War (actually, they referred to it as The War Between The States) battle reinactment today. Between maneuvers, the Union boys took a break.

Damn Yankees!! We all know it is the War of Northern Agression! Wait a minute, I'm a Yankee.

Good non-typical photo that captures the essence of both your title and a moment in the event!
  • 03-09-2008, 05:40 PM
    Coastal Flyer
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. Feedback is what it is all about, I really appreciate each of your efforts. The focus is/was on the first rifle as that line seemed more important than the line of boots. I had to choose a point where I wanted the eye to begin and I choose the rifle. The b/w version certainly changes the entire feel of the shot, and appreicate racedrapper taking a moment to give us that. DRG, this was taken in Vista, Ca., at the Antique Steam and Gas Engine Museum. The implements are spread out in large fields suitable for a battle reenactment also.

I am glad to be back also. I had some family issues to get under control (father's declining health). Thanks again.

CF
  • 03-09-2008, 09:23 PM
    PrevailingConditions
    CF - I like the color version. You've set up the patterns throughout the shot very nicely. I think if you're going to go B&W I'd probably opt for the whole distressed look instead of a simple B&W, but I usually go overboard on these things anyway.

I'm sorry to hear about your father and I hope things are improving.

PC
  • 03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
    MB1
    That is a nice strong image and the color works for me. I like that there are only about 4 elements and colors in the thing with nice graphic lines.

It's a keeper.
  • 03-10-2008, 07:52 AM
    Coastal Flyer
    Prevailing Conditions/MB:

Thanks both of you for your comments. Much appreciated. Thanks also PC for the nice words regarding my father. I have reached that time of life where we become our parents keeper. I am so very lucky that we live so close and able to be there at this time.

Thanks again.

CF