Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

City scenes part 3 (the conclusion)

Here are two last shoots from friday night which I feel, deserve to be posted here. I ran out of batteries way too soon during that night as there is so much more to be photographied downthere. However, I intend to go back and to shoot several others times in the months to come.

Thanks for looking

Seb

1) Le musée Pointe-à-Callière (The Pointe-à-Callière museum)
    F/14 6sec ISO 200 32mm (how do you feel about the top of the museum being cropped? then again I would have made good use of something like a 20mm prime).

2) Rue Royale (Royale street) F/14 4sec ISO 200 38mm
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Seb, I think you should take more time before you shoot. You have sometimes the tendency with your night shots (I've seen the other ones too) to capture too much, without digging deeper.

I see for example some fascinating elements that might be the ingredients for a great shot (marked red).

I still consider your window shot (in one of your previous posts) the best one, well done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails City scenes part 3 (the conclusion)-aaa.jpg  

The top one I like alot but feel the cut off top of the building is hurting the pic. The other shot would have been nicer had it come out sharper.
    I really like everything about that top shot except for the low crop on top.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by David_M
    Seb, I think you should take more time before you shoot. You have sometimes the tendency with your night shots (I've seen the other ones too) to capture too much, without digging deeper.

I see for example some fascinating elements that might be the ingredients for a great shot (marked red).

I still consider your window shot (in one of your previous posts) the best one, well done.

Hello David,

Thank you for criticising my work. Just to make sure that I understand you well, are you implying that you would prefer close up of interesting details over large scenes or a thighter crop of the building that would put emphasis on those elements?
    Actually, the blue/purple staircase that you are pointing out at the right do is literally fascinating. I wanted to shoot it but this was the exact moment were my battery died...
    That being said, I am going back there tonight. I will shot new scenes but I also intend to reissue some of my friday shots accordingly to the imput received here so far.

Best regards

Seb

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    The top one I like alot but feel the cut off top of the building is hurting the pic. The other shot would have been nicer had it come out sharper.
    I really like everything about that top shot except for the low crop on top.

I Gary,

My lense limit my possibilities for large scenes. With a wide angle, I could have captured the whole building even if it means cropping unwanted details later on (geez, I am almost convincing myself to spend some more $$$ lol). Anyways, I will retry this shot from another spot. I doubt that I can go way further away and still get the same effect but ill work on that. A vertical framing may be the answer.

regards

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Just to make sure that I understand you well, are you implying that you would prefer close up of interesting details over large scenes or a thighter crop of the building that would put emphasis on those elements?
    Well, not exactly. it's not that I prefer close ups, I just go for the most interesting part, reagardless if it's a close up or a full shot. For example; an old door lock might be a lot more interesting than the building of which it's part of. Also a nicely framed building, might be less interesting than a fascinating pattern, color combination, reflection, etc.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by David_M
    Well, not exactly. it's not that I prefer close ups, I just go for the most interesting part, reagardless if it's a close up or a full shot. For example; an old door lock might be a lot more interesting than the building of which it's part of. Also a nicely framed building, might be less interesting than a fascinating pattern, color combination, reflection, etc.

I see your point David. Thanks for sharing your vision of things.

regards

Seb

Seb
    Say David, I just looked at your profile. Considering that you are a pro, I thought that you might have an opinion on the following issue: what are you thinking about the significant flare that show on some of my latest pictures (city houses #1 and Le Royer #2 to be more specific)? Are you perceiving it as being normal or not? Actually, I am wondering if my lense is ok.

Thanks

Seb

I like the first one the best. The only things I might do are crop in a bit closer on the left side, and pespective correct the building. Nice exposure... sharp and well-lit.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    I like the first one the best. The only things I might do are crop in a bit closer on the left side, and pespective correct the building. Nice exposure... sharp and well-lit.

Hello PuckJunkey,

Please pardon my ignorance but what is the perspective correction you are reffering at? Is this a function in photoshop that duplicate the effect of an architectural lense in order to straighten the building and if so, can I dare to ask you the very basic regarding how to do this?

Thanks

Seb

Thread Information