Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    learning member

The Nile Crocodile

Here are a few photo's of the Nile crocodile , i took while visiting a croc farm in Kwa Zulu Natal .

The Nile crocodile occurs throughout Africa and is the only species found in South Africa. It is the largest of the African crocodiles and can grow to six metres in length.

Any comments/critique would be appreciated .
    Thanks
    james
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Nile Crocodile-croc1.jpg   The Nile Crocodile-croc2.jpg   The Nile Crocodile-croc3.jpg   The Nile Crocodile-croc4.jpg  

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by jcharris
    Here are a few photo's of the Nile crocodile , i took while visiting a croc farm in Kwa Zulu Natal .

The Nile crocodile occurs throughout Africa and is the only species found in South Africa. It is the largest of the African crocodiles and can grow to six metres in length.

Any comments/critique would be appreciated .
    Thanks
    james
    Hello James,

Honnestly, the lighting is quite harsh in all the pictures but I assume that you cannot go there anytime you want to get the right lighting since it is a farm.

That being said I like your first 3 pictures quite a lot, the second and third one being my absolute favorites.

On the first one, the horizon line is tilted and I would prefer not to have one of the paws cut (extreme right) but your angle is interesting.
    The second picture is my favorite. The crocodile is absolutely compelling. Looks like a cute harmless domestic pet lol. I love your crop and the light is better than on the rest of the series.
    I like the crop of the third picture too. It is well done.
    The fourth picture is the weak one as far as I am concerned. Moreover it is just a crocodile centered in the frame. I think that you should either go for a narrower crop of the head or for a larger view with more of the crocodile environment.

regards

Seb

James...

I enjoyed your croc pics. The first one is kind of hard to see because of the light, so It's not my fav. #2 omg i just want to pet that cute little thing. Look how his little fingers poke up in the air. lol Your crop of this shot is excellent. #3 is a nice pic also but doesn't have the personal feel that #2 has. As for the last one, well the light is a little weird in that one and it looks almost like the grass is growing over him(green). I don't really care for it.
    ~ Kit

learning member
    Thank you Shesells ,
    For looking and your opinion .

I agree with you with the first one with the light , and i should have straiten the horizon as well .
    The last one is actually bad due to the position i was when taking the photo .

Thanks again

regards

learning member
    Thank you for your comments Seb ,

The lightning was definitly a problem as well as the horizon on the first one . The time i like to take photo's is usually in the mornings and the evenings .But sometime like you have mentioned you need to take whenever chance you got . And some of those can end up very bad.
    Thank you for looking !

Regards

James, I like the 1st and third shots best. The reason I like the first is because of the point of view and the crop. One croc with mouth open and other not. Yse, the lighting is way harsh in all, but your limited to the hours of operation of the facility. These are amazing creatures. My son has videos of all kinds of predators ao Africa. These crocs are tremendous and can live well into their second century. they can also go for 2 years without eating!! We have lots of clips of these guys catching and eating Wildebeasts and anything else that might be venturing through the Nile.
    I like your shots
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

#2!!

I really enjoyed #2, I just think it is so full of character! Yes, the lighting is harsh, but these still make for great memories and something to share! They are all great. I like# 1, but that lighting distorts the crocks.
    Awesome shots~

VillenaDeCorte

^^^^^^^()< (thats my crock!)
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

learning member
    Hello Gary ,

Thank you for your comments , and for looking .
    These crocs are very amazing animals ! I always love to visit a croc farm when i have a chance .
    Regards
    james

learning member
    Hello VillenaDeCorte

Thanks for your kind comments ! I agree with you on the lightning issue , but that is also someplace i am working / learning from.

Regards

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Really good !! hope you used a long lens, these can move very fast when thay want to !!
    Bobby

croc photos

Hello guys, if james took the number 1 shot with -1EV, will the lighting at the back of the croc be a little less harsh and make the overall picture look better?

learning member
    Thank you for the advice Bendik,

I will use that setting next time when in the same position .

bobbythebandit ,

Yes , i did use a long lens when taking these reptiles ! You are correct when saying they can move fast ! They do look asleep but they are fast as lightning .

Thanks for looking !!

Kind regards
    james

Thread Information