Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cactus League

Cactus League

This cactus bloom is the size of a dinner plate and was teaming with bees. The bees would fly deep into the pollen and come out so heavy they could hardly fly away. Hope you like them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cactus League-1791pr.jpg   Cactus League-1827pr.jpg   Cactus League-1880pr.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Cactus League

The first one.....ARGH petals/leaves leading off frame. ARGH!
    Not an item in the other two because they are so much closer.
    Sorry, but it always drives me nuts and they are quite nice otherwise.
    So nice with that nice dof and focus that I hate to mention the petals.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB1

CF,

Good shots... not great ones, but good.

I like the way the softness is creeping into the bottom image. But it needs to be a little wider so not to clip off the pedals as it is, and perhaps a little more DOF so that the rear peddles are fully in focus. Good hovering bees!

With the top one, I really like how the bottom greenish leaves look. Their tonal quality is soothing. But something about the flower that is too intense for a flower shot.. they need to be soft.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB/Frog:

Yikes! It has been a while since I posted shots that were a complete swing and a miss. With the top shot, I thought I was doing good to retain the wonderful existing light throughout the exposier including the detail of the snow white pedals. They even have the darkness of the background shadow coming through. But, I understand the various points you have given me, so know I appreciate what you have said. Helps train the eye!

Thanks,

David
    Coastal Flyer

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    GB/Frog:

Yikes! It has been a while since I posted shots that were a complete swing and a miss. With the top shot, I thought I was doing good to retain the wonderful existing light throughout the exposier including the detail of the snow white pedals. They even have the darkness of the background shadow coming through. But, I understand the various points you have given me, so know I appreciate what you have said. Helps train the eye!

Thanks,

David
    I absolutely don't feel that these are a miss. They're good in many ways - the colors, overall composition, contrast, etc. But I think flower shots require one to implement a different set of rules, e.g., some folks purposely soften them (decreasing sharpness). The rest I don't know, as I'm not much of a flower photographer.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The petal thing is just my hangup.
    They are by no means a miss, especially the first one for me. Maybe not a home-run but definitely a double.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB,

Thanks for the additional comments. I am not really a flower photographer either. Although my last to threads have been of flowers. Sometimes the subject is just so commanding I can't pass them up. Thanks again. As always, I appreciate the insight.

David
    Coastal Flyer

Frog's comments notwithstanding, I'd venture to suggest cropping in even tighter on the first shot - up to about the bottom of that center blade pointing straight at the camera. I really like the other two as is, but GB has a point that they may look as good or better with a "soft focus" treatment. You exposure control on the whites is absolutely excellent!

Frog,

Whew!! At least I am on base. The Angels just swept the Red Sox so I didn't want to drop the ball. Ok, enough sports euphemisms. I appreciate the insight. It is these tweeks of an image that will change heretofore bad habits.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

I commented on this on in the gallery and I still think the first image is the winner here. I love the way the spread on the lower petals form a natural frame around that magnificent bloom and it's visitor. Beautiful photograph CF.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I'd hang them on my wall anyday, especially love the first one :thumbsup:

Oldtimer/Annamarie:

Thanks so much for your comments. I appreciate it very much.

David
    Coastal Flyer

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i think the light on that first shot is unreal. Amazing, it made my jaw drop, the lighting is absolutely beautiful.

I also think the first one is the winner! To me if this shot were cropped larger and included more of the pedals, the main focus of the flower and bee would get lost in all the space. I like the crop as is, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grandpaw/livin:

Thanks so much for the kind words. Much appreciated.

David

P.S. I am less than three months from becoming a grandpaw for the first time. Very exciting!
    Coastal Flyer

I really enjoyed these. The bees aren't tack sharp. Although, with your small "story" about the bees, I didn't care since I was looking at the massive pollen sacs and the secondary troops going in.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i keep coming back to this first shot, and keep being amazed.

I think the first is very good. The lighting is excellent, and I don't have any problems with the leaves leading off the frame at the bottom. The subject simply glows and I don't really even notice the leaves leading off the frame. I had to look long and hard to really know what frog was commenting on.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thanks all for your comments. This was a fun subject to shoot.

David
    Coastal Flyer

I like the first one best and think it's a fantastic shot. Don't mind the pedals leading off the of the page at all. Not in this case.

Great job. Flower shots are not nearly as easy as one might think.

Draymorton:

Thanks very much for leaving the comment. I don't feel as if I am particularly drawn to flowers as a subject. But, in the past month I have taken more flowers than ever. Whatever catches the eye, I guess. Thanks again.

David
    Coastal Flyer

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Number one is the best of the lot. It has good color, contrast and is sharp. Nicely done.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

David, I would like to congratulate you on soon becoming a grandpaw. They are all great but the first one is extra special. Be prepared to find out that your kids will know much more about being a parent and taking care of a baby than you do after reading the how to be a parent books and researching it online. Just thought I would give you a heads up on upcoming events, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fidgety: Thanks so much. Very nice of you.

Grandpaw: I have two children and I suspect neither will have a large family. While any number of grandchildren is a blessing, I think you are correct: the first will always be something just a tad special. Can't wait! Thanks for the advice. I wish the best for your family.

David
    Coastal Flyer

Awesome shots!! I love them all. The first one draws my eyes directly to the flower. The second directly to the bee, and the third combines them both. Great job David and thanks for sharing those.
    "There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but only one view"
    "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus".
    "Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately comes up with a better mouse."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information