Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Cactus On Fire

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Cactus On Fire

Thoughts/comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cactus On Fire-3571-cactus-fire.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Cactus On Fire

I LOVE the concept behind this shot. The potential here is huge. The only thing that I don't like is the other plant in the bottom left. The shot looks great up to there, where it kinda wrecks the dark plant/bright points. Beautiful colors!! Nice shot, and would love to see a reshoot if possible!

Jared

A LOT of POP. Is that your Velvia? I'm not too bothered by the other plant. Great work.

interesting image, Micheal. Colors and lighting make for a image with appeal.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment everyone, it's greatly appriciated.

To answer your question Chunk, this is not Velvia, it’s digital.

When I took this shot, this is not at all what I had in mind for a final result. Yesterday, I
    set up a small potted cactus in my kitchen with nothing for light except for what was
    coming in thru the windows. My only goal was to try to get some macro shots with my
    EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens and the DRebel. I have used the lens for regular
    shooting but hadn't tried it for macro yet. The lighting and colors that you see in the
    original post were accomplished by accident in PS. While doing some post processing to
    the original, I noticed that the image started to glow as I adjusted the levels. I liked the
    look so I thought I would post it to see what others thought.

If you click on my name in my signature, it will take you to my gallery. There is another
    cactus shot that is almost identical to this one, without the major levels adjustment, to give
    you an idea of what I was actually going for.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I personally think that this cactus shot and post-PS work is excellent! I took a look at your comparison image and to me, that looks like a typical close up of a cactus. What you have created here is much more than a typical image. Very good work!

--Nate

Thread Information