Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Burned Clouds

Burned Clouds

Hi All! How's everyone doing?

This came out quite water-color-esque.... hmm? Any thoughts on this one?

BTW- whats going on with the Gallery Photo Critique section? Does anyone review there? I see a ton of posting but no reviews/critiques....?

Thanks!

VillenaDeCorte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burned Clouds-burned-clouds.jpg  

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Hi All! How's everyone doing?

This came out quite water-color-esque.... hmm? Any thoughts on this one?

BTW- whats going on with the Gallery Photo Critique section? Does anyone review there? I see a ton of posting but no reviews/critiques....?

Thanks!

VillenaDeCorte
    Is this natural lighting or been worked on in PS? very powerful image.
    Bobby

Seems like you have worked this up in ps, but nevertheless it looks good as an abstract.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Original- and explanation of work done

Hi Bobby

Unfortunately- with my camera (Fuji Finepix 3800), in dusk lighting if I use the flash, I loose color, if I don't use the flash, my images are blurry. (any pointers on this problem?)

So, what I did- took the pic into PS- gave it a crop- and did an "apply image" and then reworked the level until I could get the clouds as red as my own eye saw them. (we get the most amazing red and purple clouds at sunset here),

Here is the original- unretouched, aside from the "pen name" and border, and shrunken in size.

As a side note (because I've seen it as a hot topic lately on the board)
    I use PS a lot, in the effect of resizing, or converting to b/w, or color tones,
    however I don't ever try to pass off my work that has been altered as though it has not been altered.

I'll usually note my changes somewhere... and if I don't note them, its because I am being lazy. ;)

Cheers-

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    Is this natural lighting or been worked on in PS? very powerful image.
    Bobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burned Clouds-orig-cloud-no-crop-color-add.jpg  

and now that i've posted the original....

Im starting to like it better anyway.... even with the loss of color... I just noticed that my "apply image" in the altered one, while restoring some of the color, has diffused some of the sharpness.

hmmmm....

I may be up late again tonight *sigh* never satisfied with these things.

VD

HI Gahspidy- see new post in regard to your Q&C.

Yes some retouching---- see my post

Thanks again

-VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Seems like you have worked this up in ps, but nevertheless it looks good as an abstract.

Hi Bobby

Unfortunately- with my camera (Fuji Finepix 3800), in dusk lighting if I use the flash, I loose color, if I don't use the flash, my images are blurry. (any pointers on this problem?)

So, what I did- took the pic into PS- gave it a crop- and did an "apply image" and then reworked the level until I could get the clouds as red as my own eye saw them. (we get the most amazing red and purple clouds at sunset here),

Here is the original- unretouched, aside from the "pen name" and border, and shrunken in size.

I use PS a lot, in the effect of resizing, or converting to b/w, or color tones,
    however I don't ever try to pass off my work that has been altered as though it has not been altered.

I'll usually note my changes somewhere... and if I don't note them, its because I am being lazy. ;)

Cheers-

VillenaDeCorte
    I like the more natural colors in the second shot. Do you use unsharp mask after shrinking the size? That will restore the sharpness lost in resizing. Beautiful sunset.

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

You have no

Hi Bobby

Cheers-

VillenaDeCorte
    Reason to be embarrassed or shy about using PS or any device in your efforts to present a good pic. Thats why we have these tools, otherwise we would still be using box cameras and plates etc. Using flash at any time, keep in mind after about 15 feet or so even the best light from a flash "dies" so it was no use trying to light the clouds.I see people at football matches using their flashes which just about lights up the heads in front of them and i smile to myself. Is this any help or am i pointing in the wrong direction ?
    Bobby

Beware: Mom With Camera

I think the original is better than your photoshop version. Very beautiful skyline.
    Kate

Thanks!

No embarassment at all here I love Photoshop and related products...it allows me to take my images farther, interpret them farther or help others see things they way I do at times. I just wanted to let it be known since I keep seeing the old debate round and round over here- and I would never try to pass anything off without giving PS credit where its due ;)

Here's another PS baby.... this one is just going in my gallery.

Thanks again Bobby- always a fan of your pics

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    Reason to be embarrassed or shy about using PS or any device in your efforts to present a good pic. Thats why we have these tools, otherwise we would still be using box cameras and plates etc. Using flash at any time, keep in mind after about 15 feet or so even the best light from a flash "dies" so it was no use trying to light the clouds.I see people at football matches using their flashes which just about lights up the heads in front of them and i smile to myself. Is this any help or am i pointing in the wrong direction ?
    Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thanks Chunk and Kate...

For the responses. I like the original one more and more now that I look at it.
    Again, the sunsets here give me such a playground... soon enough my equipment will be able to keep up with it

And Kate- screaming babies galore over here :Most of my stuff revolves around kids.
    Love your pics!

Chunk- always a pleasure to hear from you! Love your pics too.... especially your do on Escher! (used to be a design/architecture student....)
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thread Information