PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Gas prices

I'm worried about gas prices.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...as-prices.html

I pay 1.52 $ a litre as it stands, where I live, and this recent news means that it will hike (for my area) 20 cents more so by the next time i fill up it will be 1.70$ a litre, at least. At this rate I predict 2 $ a litre at least by Jan.

I'm thinking of buying a super economical vehicle, right now I drive an 02 sunfire (automatic). I don't know much about hybrids or electronic cars or battery cars or whatever, so I'm a bit at the loss at how other people are coping with the gas boom.

I thought about getting a prius or something like that, too.

What do YOU do for gas hikes and costs of recent driving?

Re: Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by Kajuah
    Drive less. My jeep gets 14 miles to the gallon, a gallon runs about 4.19 today...although I paid 3.99 last week, and 4.60 over the summer...

bottom line, driving is a luxury for me. I either deal with the price and "soldier up," or I hike it.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

I'm thinking I'll use my skidoo for most of the winter to battle the price hike, either that or the ATV since up here we have no laws against driving them on the roads.

We are actually coming down some, at $3.88 a gallon.

We drive a little less, dh carpools. Our high point was, I think the beginning of summerish.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajuah
    Drive less....

Its $3.65 over here...

Prices in Europe

Hummm - any news from Texas? The news says that hurricane Ike has devastated Galveston and should push gas prices over $5 for a while in the States. I came over to the forum to see how things were and this discussion caught my eye.

I pay about 1.4 Euros per litre at the moment, that's down from 1.5 in July.

i.e. about $7.52 dollars per gallon.

I'm not doing any more than what I was before. I already have a small car - okay it can do 120mph but I drive carefully and it's fairly economical (I get about 36 miles/gallon driving in the Paris area). I use public transport when it doesn't slow me down too much, I don't make pointless trips in the car. I organise my life so I don't have to drive in traffic jams.

In about 3 years I will change my car (it will be 8 years old). What I expect the new one to be:

- same performance and size (I park in the city & make regular long trips)
    - at least 20% more economical (European directive to car manufacurers for 2011 = reduce C02 emissions)
    - turbo-diesel engine (I prefer petrol but diesel is going to wipe the floor)
    - automatic transmission by robotised sequential gearbox (current one has that already & it's great)
    - mechanism to stop & start the engine at red lights
    - much lighter than the current one (it weighs a ton to get a good score in the crash tests)

Picture = my car in a typical pose outside a Paris Salsa club
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gas prices-4088-017.jpg  
    Last edited by Franglais; 09-13-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Got a few minutes before going out so I added a bit
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I drive a lot less. If I can, I walk. If I can't I take my motorcycle. When running errands I combine as much stuff into the trip as I can so I'm not making multiple trips. I tried to get to the gas station this morning before they opened and raised the price, but I was too late. It was $3.75/gal. It was $3.69 yesterday.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I was able to get $3.49 a gallon here shopping around last week. It's been dropping consistently here maybe that was the bottom.

Like the other posters, I drive less. It's funny, this summer my friends calculated how much it costs them to drive places. At $4 a gallon, it was $8 to get to church, etc. So I began doing the same. At 20 miles per gallon it costs me $2 just to drive the 10 minutes round trip to go hiking near by apt. School and church both cost me about $8 round trip right now.

I also save up errands so I can do them all in one trip on one day and not be making multiple runs. And I plan the $#@! out of my trips so I do one big, organized "loop" and get everything knocked out as efficiently as possible.

Speaking of alt fuel vehicles, Honda is rolling out its first hydrogen cars this summer in LA and rumor has it the next generation of Prius is going to have a plug-in feature...
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

i was driving a car ( 13 years old) that would get over 40 mpg ( and was governed to 118 mph). (yeah hybrids really arn't that great when 20 year old cars can get 50 mpg)

but i wrecked it so now i drive the same car, just higher model ( better engine) and i only get 30 mpg (goes 132 mph). but i drive just like normal.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I've put the roadster in the garden, pending a new engine or rebuild.
    Bought a second hand diesel fortwo (back when they were called the city car).
    Now getting 70mpg.
    Still expensive fuel though...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

GB1

Drive softer. No fast starts, no aggressive driving, and slow down. That will often get you 5-10% better mileage right off the bat.

I'm a big efficiency person in that I dislike any sort of sloppy engineering system that wastes energy or material. But one thing to think about on the Prius is the added cost of the vehicle (~ $4000 USD), that it's batteries will eventually need to be completely replaced and that will cost thousands of dollars (and if it happens at say 125,000 miles, would you really want to sink that much $ into a vehicle with that sort of mileage? Something to think about), and I have also heard that it's little tires wear out faster than usual. I have never seen a real life, comprehensive accounting of what all this will cost w.r.t. what you are saving in gas........ It would be interesting to see.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Honda Goldwing= 40+ MPG and fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I'm a big efficiency person in that I dislike any sort of sloppy engineering system that wastes energy or material. But one thing to think about on the Prius is the added cost of the vehicle (~ $4000 USD), that it's batteries will eventually need to be completely replaced and that will cost thousands of dollars (and if it happens at say 125,000 miles, would you really want to sink that much $ into a vehicle with that sort of mileage? Something to think about), and I have also heard that it's little tires wear out faster than usual. I have never seen a real life, comprehensive accounting of what all this will cost w.r.t. what you are saving in gas........ It would be interesting to see.
    I remember hearing stories about the long run cost of owning a Prius. The conclusion of the story was that it would be cheaper and more environmentally cleaner to drive a Hummer than a Prius. This was basically do to all of the costs involved in designing, engineering and manufacturing the Prius, along with the cost of disposal.

It was a pretty controversial article but it did bring up some good points. Whether the claims are true or not, I don't know.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

still though find a nice 1990 honda vx hatch and enjoy 50 mpg. and its better for the environment because your reusing an old car instead of having to produce a brand new hybrid.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

The price of gas here is $1.38 a litre. Unfortunately some of live in the country, so if you want something you have to drive there. My son luckily got a co-op job this semester, but it takes him 45 min. to drive there.
    When hurrican katrina hit, gas went up, but it never went down again. I really think we are being gouged!

News Flash people. Hurricane in Texas. Lots of flooding. Power's out.

Lots of oil wells in Texas too. Wether or not they were actually damaged is irrelevant. Too good an excuse to pass up.

$4.00 / gallon? You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Prepare for a fleecing at the pumps.

http://finance.comcast.net/www/news....14/1058883.xml

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

3.75 in Port Orchard and Spokane WA....no change around hurricane time.

My actions:
    Ignore it and maintain car. Maybe short shifting once in a while. I might take bike/bus to school this quarter (40 min commute, the university provides bus pass, though I like driving and hate being up high in a ground vehicle)

I'm gonna fix my odometer so I can track my gas mileage.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

It's up to $3.99/gal here this morning.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I am happy to say that gas went down from $1.39 a litre to $1.13 last week than it went back up 5 cents. I guess $1.18 a litre is better than what we were paying a month ago.
    Actually I hear that gas could go down to .99 cents a litre by Nov. or Dec. Here's hoping!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Yeah its been getting cheaper here too $1.40 or so at the cheap stations now.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Think yourself lucky a litre of gas in london is £1.20 whats that in $ 3 stopped driving my Shogun 4x4 3.5l and keep nicking the wifes Pegueot 1.6l

Now travel to work and back 20m on my Suzuki Bergmann 400 Scooter as in the car would have to pay the london Congestion charge daily of £8 as well
    To me, The goal is to move people, to make people think, but never, never at the expense of the person you're photographing. To laugh with, yes - but never to laugh at. - Lord Snowdon

Martyn
    Olympus E30 HLD 4, E520, E300 & HLD 3
    Olympus OM10 Zuiko OM 28mm 2.8 OM 50mm 1.8 & 70-200mm
    ZD 14-45mm 14-42mm 14-54mm 40-150mm 70-300mm 50-200mm 2.8 / 3.5
    ZD 35mm Macro EX - 25
    Sigma 50-500mm To be Obtained
    Olympus FL36R
    Metz Flash 28AF-30

www.cannoncannonphotography.webs.com

It finally went under $3 here! Man, nice to look at.

We just dropped to $2.94, which is 20c higher than a year ago, for Minnesota. The national average is 50c higher than one year ago. Another 50c drop would be nice. I got rid of my Ford Explorer SUV that was getting 22 mpg highway and purchased a Saturn Vue SUV that gets 30 mpg highway. This is saving me about 35% at the pumps, which is the equivalent of almost $1 per gallon. If i look at it this way, compared to my Explorer, it's only costing me about $2 per gallon.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Diesel is £1.189 per litre (I filled up today, all 20 litres of the tank!).
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Well, gas has been getting cheaper, but I live in San Diego which often has some of the highest prices in the contiguous US. To top that off, I have to buy premium grade fuel for my car (Peformance PCM, pulled knock sensor). I can still get upwards of 36 mpg on the highway if I drive nicely. I usually end up averaging about 27-30 mpg. Keeping track of my mpg has helped me keep my driving habits in check. It once came out to 22mpg average which told me I was driving like a total maniac and had to put myself in check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information