PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted

Crossover Music Listeners

In particular, Andrea Bocelli. I'm actually not sure what his style of music is called, I would think classical, but I've heard some people refer to it as "crossover"? Regardless, I recently bought my first Andrea CD, called "Andrea," and I've really enjoyed it. He's a great performer, and although many of songs are in Italian and Spanish, I love listening to him sing, especially the song "Con Te Partido" (spelled correctly, I assume?). Very smooth and relaxing at times, but edgy and powerful when he needs to be.

I spend a lot of time commuting around the city during the week, so music keeps me sane in traffic. Anyone else a fan of Andrea Bocelli, he's pretty popular, no?

Nessa

Re: Crossover Music Listeners

I like him too, he's almost opera. But not "stuffy" opera. And that one song he did with Sarah Brightman was on the pop charts.

Have you checked out Josh Groban? He doesn't have quite the voice, isn't good enough to do opera, but he's enjoyable nonetheless, if you like that style of music.

Sarah Brightman too, in the same style .. a classical style voice doing a mix of popular and classical music.

All three have their critics, but the performers are well worth listening to.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Have you checked out Josh Groban? He doesn't have quite the voice, isn't good enough to do opera, but he's enjoyable nonetheless, if you like that style of music.
    I'll admit my secret loving for Josh Groban music. All the times I've seen him live on television with the orchestra, it sounds so rich and pure. I'm a sucker for strings in a band (like a rock band with orchestra). Metallica did it great with a symphony a few years back, quite stunning.

Classical music of anysorts is good to listen to!

We've seen Groban in concert twice. The first time we were very excited, seemed like he was an up-and-coming artist with a LOT of potential. The second time we were disappointed, it seemed like he had reached the top of his potential, and would get no better.

But his CD is great. Live ... in a huge arena ... coulda been better.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I don't know what has happened with Josh lately. His concert CD is not great (the LA one). I have his other CD's and they are fabulous. He and Bocelli are my favorites.
    Lara

Actually, you named off one of the artists that I just bought a CD by the other day. I like Josh Groban from what I've heard so far, I saw him sing the National Anthem a couple of years back for the World Series and was really impressed. I'm slightly more fond of the material on Andrea's CD though, his voice also seems a little warmer and mature, too.

Bocelli is older, with much more experience and is an operatic tenor. While Groban is more of a contemporary singer towards the baritone.

Josh got his big break filling in for Bocelli at the Grammys in 99 when he was 17!

Both are a pleasure to listen to.
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    We've seen Groban in concert twice. The first time we were very excited, seemed like he was an up-and-coming artist with a LOT of potential. The second time we were disappointed, it seemed like he had reached the top of his potential, and would get no better.

But his CD is great. Live ... in a huge arena ... coulda been better.
    Kelly,

I bought my girlfriend the Live CD/DVD from the Greek. I personally liked it, and find it quite interesting. I know your a singer, so maybe you can appreciate/recognize his voice potential, but I loved it, and the band, from a musicians view, was just superb.

Thread Information