PhotographyREVIEW.com Off-Topic Forum

Anything that's not related to photography, except religion and politics*. Discuss Britney Spears, your Kiss records, swing dancing, salsa recipes. The Off-Topic forum is moderated by walterick and adina.
*Religious and political threads will be deleted
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Any Culinary Artists?

As for marinades, I had a post in here somewhere about "brining" pork chops or chicken. You gotta try it - you won't believe the difference.

Sorry, no marinade ideas... A butcher shop near Chicago has a marinated skirt steak that's so tender that you almost don't need a knife to cut it. Regular skirt steak is very tough - but has great flavor. I haven't figured out what they do to it, and neither has my friend the chef... Ziploc bags are great for marinating or brining. Put the meat and marinade in, press the air out and seal. Every so often, mix it up a little (kinda like agitating film ).

I've got some marinades....I'll get them up over the next week..
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I just had to google brining So, basically, it's soaking meat in a salty, sometimes sugary solution for a day?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Brining - yes, actually it doesn't have to be that long depending on what you've got. I hear the more time the better (from chef friend) but a day is all you'll need. I did thick pork chops for an hour and it was an incredible difference. For a whole chicken, I'd probably do several to 24 hours. I used about 3T each kosher salt and sugar per about 1/2 gallon of water for the chops. Put the water in the ziploc, dissolve salt and sugar, put in chops and back to the fridge. I put the bag in a bowl just in case...

A whole chicken might need more than a one-gallon ziploc though - but pieces would work that way easily. I've been doing whole chickens lately (haven't tried brining them yet) on the grill. Cut along the top to split the breast (kitchen shears!), then cut the back out so you have two equal halves. Grills very easily that way. Get the instant-read thermometer I mentioned and cook the center of the breast to 170 and center of thigh about 10 degrees higher. Make sure the tip of the thermometer is not touching bone though.

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser

Italian dressing also makes a great marinade for chicken.
    We use Italian Dressing on steaks to and then use Montreal Steak Seasoning sprinkled on the grill. Mmmmmm. If I wasn't working evenings I'd be BBQing tonight.

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Lea and Perrins is a fancy name for worchestchire sauce.
    Lea and Perrins makes a great Steak Sauce too. I like it better than A1 myself.

They make a couple other sauces too.

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro

Curry Fried Rice

Any Culinary Artists?-curry-fried-rice-pork.jpg

A rice cooker is best if you have one. You can get affordable ones nowadays.

I make 4 cups at a time to feed a family of 5 and usually have leftovers for lunch for me the next day.

Rice: 4 scoops of your rice cookers measuring cup.
    Water: Fill up to the 4 mark on the cooker. (or follow your cookers instructions)

The easy part, sprinkle the following on top of the water.

Crushed Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Parsley, Chives, Mandarin Curry Powder, and Dried Onions.

Mix well.

Let the rice cooker do it's thing.

Do a final mix and sprinkle with Magi Cooking Soy Sauce.

Easy one pot (rice cooker) recipe and cheap!!

I have then fried some eggs and onions in a deep pot (Wok if you have one) and added a couple spoons of minced garlic (from a jar) and then added the rice to the Wok/Pot and stir continuously over med-high heat until the egg/onions are mixed well in the rice.

Instant fried rice! You can add cubed chicken or pork or even shrimp if you want meat in it. Cook the meat before the eggs tho.

All good and easy to make with only 2 things to clean.

Tim
    Last edited by cyberlord; 06-09-2006 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added Image

I got another marinade.

Honey
    Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
    Bourbon (I really like Bourbon)
    Garlic
    Salt Pepper

Combine all of this in a food processoer or blender and marinate in frig for a few hours then grill and enjoy.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Our Summer favorites and staples with Grilled meats

Strawberry Spinach Salad

INGREDIENTS:
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 tablespoon poppy seeds
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup olive oil (does not taste the same with veggie oil)
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    10 ounces fresh spinach - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces (we use baby spinach leaves)
    1 quart strawberries - cleaned, hulled and sliced (not chopped)
    1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour.
    In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

This one will induce immediate clogging of all arteries---but it so good...
    Broccoli Salad

1 medium onion, finely diced
    1 bunch broccoli
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1/2 pound bacon (precooked works well but crisp in in pan first)

DRESSING:

1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp. vinegar
    Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp; drain well on paper towels. Break broccoli into small pieces. Mix dressing ingredients and pour over broccoli, onion, cheese and bacon; mix well.

**** does not save well(gets mushy aftyer a day) so eat it or share it
    with neighbors****************

__________________________________________________ _____
    Quick Greek Salad

4 large good tomatoes( I prefer grape tomatoes)
    1 small cucumber ( I use the seedless little ones)
    1 large green pepper
    1 small onion
    8-10 black olives
    1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and liquid reserved for a simpler one use no artichokes or works well with asparagus instead)
    Dressing
    1 tbs. Balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup marinade liquid from artichokes
    juice of 1 lemon
    1 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
    salt and cracked black pepper to taste
    1/3 cup feta cheese crumbles
    Wash all vegetables and drain. Cut tomato, cucumber, green pepper and onion into bite-size chunks placing in large salad bowl. Add olives and artichokes.

Add vinegar, artichoke liquid, lemon, oregano, salt and pepper into small lidded jar. Shake vigorously to combine.

Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to mix vegetables until coated. Serve in lettuce leaf lined salad plates. Sprinkle with feta cheese, optional.
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Last but not least
    You have a bit of an affair with the veggies but it all works out

A bunch fresh of asparagus
    1/2 stick of butter
    sea salt and a pinch of white pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Take each stem of asparagus and lightly coat it with butter(this is where you rub it little body from the tip of the hjead to the bottom---consider it a veggie massage)

lay them all on a cookie sheet and sprinkle a bit of sea salt to taste and tiny bit of pepper

stick in oven until asparagus begin to turn golden brown and first glance of golden take 'em out... they will be very crisp but just cooked enough---nummy nummy
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Re: Our Summer favorites and staples with Grilled meats

Thanks Nat! Looks like I have a lot of cooking to do
    Walter Rick Long

OMG. I just made the mojito marinade with chicken tonight. Holy $#@! That is the best thing I've ever tasted. You guys are required to try it out.

I goofed on the recipe and doubled the amount of OJ by accident. So it was pretty "orangey." And I didn't have cilantro. I can't imagine how it would taste if it were made correctly.

I whipped up the marinade yesterday and then soaked 2 boneless chicken breasts for about 12 hours today. Baked it tonight 30@350.

I can't wait to make this again! It borders on overly tart fyi, at least the way I made it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Culinary Artists?-mojito.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long

The Answer

Bacon is the answer to all cooking problems.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Would that be pork bacon, turkey bacon or soy bacon? I'd like to know, because I'm having cooking problems, although I believe that is the state of my kitchen.

Will bacon fix my kitchen?

Re: The Answer

It's about time you found this thread!
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by adina

Will bacon fix my kitchen?
    Bacon will make you not care about your kitchen, and its got to be the real thing PORK bacon, anything else won't clog your arteries fast enough.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

My advice...

Hi Rick,

I just jumped over here to start a cooking thread and to my dismay, you beat me to the punch (though mine had to do with grilling and smoking and I'll probably still start it.)

Admittedly, I haven't read through all 3 pages, I made it through most of the first though. I completely agree with learning to use spices. They can make or break ANY dish. Experiment with them and note what spices work well together and what foods they work best on.

I'm also a follower of Alton Brown and Rachael Ray. Paula Deen has some good (and simple) recipes as well, though I have a hard time dealing with her "southern-ness" - which is sad since I'm originally from the south. If you want to get into grilling, Bobby Flay's "Boy Meets Grill" is a must watch and read.

Finally, the best piece of advice I can offer is this.. Start out with one or two things you like and learn how to cook them well, with consistent results. From there, add to your menu and before too long, you'll be publishing your own cookbook and we'll be watching you on Food Network.. I can see it now.. "Wining and Dining with Walterick"

Heck, I'll throw in a turkey recipe for you to try...

Braised Dark Meat Turkey over Egg Noodles

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 4 hours
    Yield: 8 to 10 servings
    User Rating: (My kids and I love this dish)

4 to 5 pounds turkey wings and drumsticks (white meat can be used as well, but will add less flavor to the dish)
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    4 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
    4 stalks celery, bottoms and tips removed, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
    6 ounces tomato paste
    1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    12 ounces ale or good lager beer
    6 to 8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
    1 cup pitted oil-cured olives
    2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
    Cooked egg noodles, for serving

Generously salt and pepper the turkey.
    Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the turkey wings and drumsticks and brown as evenly as possible all over. Do this in batches if necessary.

Once browned, remove the turkey from the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-high and then add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until tender. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until it is mixed in. Then add all the remaining ingredients, except the olives and rosemary, and stir until everything is incorporated. Bring this liquid to a simmer, then add the turkey back to the pot, along with the olives and rosemary, and bring to a simmer. Cook about 3 to 3 1/2 hours over a low flame at a low simmer until the turkey meat falls off the bone easily with just a little nudge from a fork. Remove rosemary sprigs and serve over hot egg noodles.

Note: During cooking, occasionally check to see if the turkey is getting too browned or dried where not submerged under the braising liquid. If so, stir into the liquid and continue cooking.
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Bacon

Bacon comes from the pig. There's no such thing as a bacon substitute. That's a communist plot to bring about the ruination of all good meat eatin Muricans.

I have a friend who made some bacon brittle. That's right - bacon instead of peanut. It's deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeee

licious!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Bacon comes from the pig. There's no such thing as a bacon substitute. That's a communist plot to bring about the ruination of all good meat eatin Muricans.

I have a friend who made some bacon brittle. That's right - bacon instead of peanut. It's deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeee

licious!

I can feel my arterties clogging as I read this.....

We just had breakfast company two Sundays ago. My little bro was going back to California, and called here days in advance to make reservations for pancakes.

Okay, no big deal. So I make blueberry pancakes, coffee, breakfast sausage, juice, cut up some fruit, and, here it comes, turkey bacon. Both my brothers just about had a heart attack. I believe "blasphamy" was the word they used.

Both my brothers just about had a heart attack. I believe "blasphamy" was the word they used.
    Well, the important question here is, did you tell them it was turkey bacon or did they figure it out on their own?

We use turkey bacon and are none the poorer for it.
    Walter Rick Long

I believe "blasphamy" was the word they used.

They are correct.. Any non-pork attempt at bacon is blasphemous! AND as PJ mentioned above, is NOT bacon at all. :P
    Nikon Samurai #3

Coq au vin.....

I was part of a three man kitchen for a french restaurant in Napa about 7 years ago. When done right, you can store the chicken in the sauce for about 5 days.

What do you need? For 8 people

20 Pearl Onions
    1/2 lbs Bacon (country style)
    1-2 cups Red wine -
    5-10 cups Beef stock
    4 Whole Chickens quartered
    2 basil leafs

Prep:
    Mark the pearl onions on top and both by making cross cut on the onion. The onion should be whole, but the marks on the bottom and top will give it room to expand.
    Julienne the bacon into 2 inch by 1/4 strips of bacon.

First sear the chicken until brown.... set aside.
    Cook bacon until fat has been rendered off....drain the fat and remove the bacon

Using a large pot, place the beef stock and the wine and set heat to boil. Once the broth begins to boil reduce the heat to medium. The amount of stock and wine is by feel. You should have more beef stock than wine, imho and enough to cover all of the chicken.

Place chicken, onions, bacon, and the basil leaf and cover. The chicken will be done when the meat is almost coming off the bone. Roughly 20-30 minutes.

To prepare for dinner.... get frying pan hot with some bacon grease or olive oil. Warm chicken and then remove. Add broth from the pot until it gets hot and stir in a small amount of cornstarch. This will thicken the sauce.

We served the coq au vin...with the chicken being placed on a bed of rice, garnished with the sauce, pearl onions, and some bacon.

Enjoy...
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Sounds good Loren. I'll have to try this one!

This weekend I think I'm going to smoke a tri tip roast or two and try whipping up an oyster pan roast. I had the oyster dish last weekend in Vegas (if any of you ever find yourself at the Orleans, you must go to Big Al's Oyster Bar and try their pan roasts) and I've been craving it ever since.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Nikon Samurai #3

By the way,

Marinating chicken in raspberry vinagrette doesn't work.
    Walter Rick Long

Hey Steve!

I finally set a piece of chicken in a brining solution tonight

I'll give you a report tomorrow night!

Walter Rick Long