Questions about Hosting

Sebastian turned me on to Surpass Hosting, where I registered my domain name. I haven't done anything else yet, but seeing the basic program that Peter found makes me want to get this started. I'm looking at the packages that they offer, and they talk about MB of web space and data transfer.

The "standard" package includes 525mb of web space. I'm not doing anything fancy - at least yet - does this sound like enough? I'm thinking about 3 - 5 pages for starters, at the most 20 images total, as big as 400x600.

It also includes up to 15000mb transfer. I haven't looked real hard yet, but not sure what this actually means. Any ideas?

Edit: It's actually 2000mb disk space (same as web space?) and 30gb monthly transfer.
    Last edited by another view; 04-23-2004 at 12:37 PM.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar
    Steve, I'm out the door right now, so I can only give you the briefest of answers...

DISK SPACE is storage, all the files and pages you have on your host's server at any given moment, whether it's viewable online or not.

TRANSFER is the exchange of data. So, in your case, if more than 1g of data is uploaded and downloaded EACH DAY, you'd go over your limit by the end of the month.

I'm sure Peter or someone else can go into more detail, but those are big numbers you list. I'm sure it will be WAY more than enough for the site you have in mind...

BTW, you should always have a folder on your HD that is an exact mirror of your site, with all the same files and pages as the host server (as Python would say, "NO MORE, NO LESS..."). This gives you an accurate count of how much space the site takes up...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Sebastian turned me on to Surpass Hosting, where I registered my domain name. I haven't done anything else yet, but seeing the basic program that Peter found makes me want to get this started. I'm looking at the packages that they offer, and they talk about MB of web space and data transfer.

The "standard" package includes 525mb of web space. I'm not doing anything fancy - at least yet - does this sound like enough? I'm thinking about 3 - 5 pages for starters, at the most 20 images total, as big as 400x600.

It also includes up to 15000mb transfer. I haven't looked real hard yet, but not sure what this actually means. Any ideas?

Edit: It's actually 2000mb disk space (same as web space?) and 30gb monthly transfer.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Another View,

Just to give you an idea, my site takes up about 30 megs. And that's with loads of stuff on there that visitors don't see.
    525 is plenty.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Seemed like big numbers to me. I didn't realize that Seb's site is 30mb, I might get to that point eventually but I'll put people to sleep with 525! So I guess "transfer" might also be referred to as "bandwidth"? I've heard of some sites having problems with huge bills because of a lot of bandwidth (from a lot of activity). I don't think I'm that popular!

I didn't think about having other pages that aren't viewable - maybe a couple of pages to experiment on, works in progress.

I'll be gone for a week and will get started on it when I get back. Thanks for the info!

You get two things with your hosting, disk space to put your files on for a website and access bandwidth. The thing that concerns me about 15000 mb of bandwidth is that they might be overselling their product and therefore increasing the access times (this is what people refer to when they ping something on a website like your domain), which means that access to your web browsing gets slower. I'm not saying this is the case, but it has been mentioned to me from people I trust in the industry that people oversell their hosting products, banking on the fact that people won't use it all up every month if at all.

I have 550meg and 8000meg as my hosting package and never use anywhere near that. I have thought about surpass hosting, but recently I have asked two pre sales questions, the first question too 72 hours to answer and the next question took a month to answer. The reasoning behind the delay was they were busy. That is something that worries me with hosting companies. Not being able to get tech support with in a few hours and taking too long to fix, repair, reboot, relay information quicking is the main issue with hosting companies.

I was looking at changing to them, to increase my disk space and bandwidth for essentially the same price I pay currently.

I would ask surpass hosting how many packages they sell per webserver (hardware) they have.

My bandwidth at present for all my websites is less than 10meg a month and that is with about 700-1000 spam emails a month as well. Getting sick and tired of all the medication emails to help me with the wife, it is just crazy.

I hope that helps you with your hosting.

If you are setting up packages it is a good idea to consider what the disk space requirement they would need and allocate bandwidth according to how many packages you could totally setup. So say you set up 10 packages then you would allocate 200meg disk space and 3000meg of traffic bandwidth per package or even half of that and get 20 packages of 100 and 1500, which ever works. I personally setup from 10 meg to 200 meg and 100 - 1000 bandwidth for my packages that I sell, and adjust someones needs accordingly which takes all of 10 seconds to adjust.

Thread Information