Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Liz

Rechargeable batteries Question

I'm going to purchase a small $50 (on sale at Best Buy) compact camera as a gift for a 9 y/o girl. The camera box just states it uses "AA batteries."

I have an extra set of "rechargeable" batteries and charger I could give her - will these work with the camera?

Impact "NM4H Rapid Charger for Ni-MH AA/AAA Batteries"

Camera: Insignia NS-DSC1110A

If not, will any rechargeable batteries work with a compact camera using AA batteries?

I want to be sure this will work. One time a phone blew up on me when using the wrong cord to plug it in so I'm cautious with electronics - especially for a child.

BTW - for $50 the camera has pretty good reviews - perfect for the price and the child.

Thanks.
    Liz

Re: Rechargeable batteries Question

Any rechargeable Ni-MH AA batteries will work just fine Liz.
    Just make sure she doesn't use the charger on ordinary non-rechargeable alkaline batteries. :thumbsup:
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Rivman
    Any rechargeable Ni-MH AA batteries will work just fine Liz.
    Just make sure she doesn't use the charger on ordinary non-rechargeable alkaline batteries. :thumbsup:
    Thanks for your quick reply - and for the information. I did try googling the question, but could not get enough specific information. I also emailed Insignia, but it takes 72 hours for a reply.

I feel more comfortable now giving her the batteries and charger.

ETA: Oh! and thanks for the reminder about putting the wrong batteries into the charger. Good and necessary suggestion!

Liz

Also, be careful, because you can also purchase alkaline rechargeables and these often will not recharge in a charger that is dedicated to NI-MH batteries. I made that mistake about a year ago, when I accidentally bought some alkaline rechargeables, thinking they were Ni-MH (have to learn to pay closer attention) - they were relatively cheaper and I thought I was getting a bargain - NOT!!. So now I have two chargers, one that only takes Ni-MH batteries and one that takes both alkaline rechargeables and NI-MH, but not both at once. As with other chargers, the charger for the alkaline rechargeables will not work with ordinary alkaline batteries, in fact the consequences could be unfortunate as they warn you on the packaging. The alkaline rechargeables work okay in small flashlights and TV controllers, but they don't last worth a ---- in a camera or a flash. Thought I would mention this just in case, so at least you will not make the same mistake that I did. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Actually, rechargables do not always work. A regular battery is 1.5 volts, rechargeable batteries are usually 1.25 or 1.3 volts. Most cameras are meant to accept the lower voltage, but occasionally some devices don't do anything at all with them. It certainly wouldn't break one.

The reason your cell phone "blew up" with the wrong charger was because of the wrong voltage, being excessive. I watched a cassette tape player act funky and eventually start smoking when I did that (oh in like 1990). If you check the voltage of your devices you can match up power cables.

I definitely wouldn't try feeding reduced voltage batteries to a flash though.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Actually, rechargables do not always work. A regular battery is 1.5 volts, rechargeable batteries are usually 1.25 or 1.3 volts. Most cameras are meant to accept the lower voltage, but occasionally some devices don't do anything at all with them. It certainly wouldn't break one.

The reason your cell phone "blew up" with the wrong charger was because of the wrong voltage, being excessive. I watched a cassette tape player act funky and eventually start smoking when I did that (oh in like 1990). If you check the voltage of your devices you can match up power cables.

I definitely wouldn't try feeding reduced voltage batteries to a flash though.

Thank you! Actually they did not work. I had just completely charged the batteries (took forever!). The camera would not turn on.

The batteries came with their own charger and I have only used them for a short period of time with another camera that took these exact batteries.

Interestingly, I emailed Insignia (camera manufacturer), and they responded by telling me yes, they will work.

The camera is now working fine with regular AA batteries. BTW, for $50 bucks at Best Buy, this camera does a good job! The images look fine. It is for a 9 y/o girl.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    Also, be careful, because you can also purchase alkaline rechargeables and these often will not recharge in a charger that is dedicated to NI-MH batteries. I made that mistake about a year ago, when I accidentally bought some alkaline rechargeables, thinking they were Ni-MH (have to learn to pay closer attention) - they were relatively cheaper and I thought I was getting a bargain - NOT!!. So now I have two chargers, one that only takes Ni-MH batteries and one that takes both alkaline rechargeables and NI-MH, but not both at once. As with other chargers, the charger for the alkaline rechargeables will not work with ordinary alkaline batteries, in fact the consequences could be unfortunate as they warn you on the packaging. The alkaline rechargeables work okay in small flashlights and TV controllers, but they don't last worth a ---- in a camera or a flash. Thought I would mention this just in case, so at least you will not make the same mistake that I did. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks.....the batteries and charger came together in a package with another camera a couple of years ago.

As I mentioned above, they will not work with this camera! And thanks for the advice - I'm quite hesitant to use any battery and/or charger without knowing it is the right one - so I appreciate this information.

Liz

Thread Information