Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Rechargeable batteries for flash battery pack?

I'm going to be buying a battery pack for my flash (Canon CP-E4 Compact Battery Pack)

Thought this would be an easy task then started reading about rechargeable batteries to use with the pack. ALL DAY I've been reading about batteries and find myself even more confused.

Does anyone have any recommendations and why. (?)

I've read a lot about Sanyo Eneloops, but then read not to go below 2500mAh. Eneloops are 2000 I believe. Does this really matter? What does really matter in the rechargeable battery arena to run a flash battery pack?

I'm also looking for a good rapid charger and heard good things about this one and the batteries it comes with.
    http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7
    Did I mention I'm CONFUSED and do not understand any of this? :blush2: :idea::mad2:
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Rechargeable batteries for flash battery pack?

I went through this same process last winter. You can ready what others had to say here.

I also got some advice from Twitter and a podcast that I listen too that recommended the Eneloops so that is what I went with. When I first got the Eneloops I had only planned on using them in my flash. Since I don't use my flash much, my Eneloops have now become my main source of power for my camera and I just got another 8 pack of them a couple weeks ago. I'm really happy with them and would recommend them to anyone looking for rechargeable batteries.

For a charger I got the La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger. It's not a quick charger but it works great. Now that I have 16 batteries, I can charge them all the day before I plan on shooting and have enough ready to use that I don't need to have a quick charger. If I remember correctly (didn't reread my other thread) I thought someone recommended staying away from the quick chargers but I could be wrong.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Julie I use the Sanyo Eneloops in everything now. I switched to them almost two years ago to use in my D700 grip and was so pleased with their performance that I bought more and am using them in the flash as well. For me they have great staying power and saved me a bundle in battery cost over the last couple of years.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

One suggestion regardless of what you get. Number the batteries and even date them so you are always using batteries that are same age and charge capacity. I always use them in sets and try not to mix and match.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I went through this same process last winter. You can ready what others had to say here.

I also got some advice from Twitter and a podcast that I listen too that recommended the Eneloops so that is what I went with. When I first got the Eneloops I had only planned on using them in my flash. Since I don't use my flash much, my Eneloops have now become my main source of power for my camera and I just got another 8 pack of them a couple weeks ago. I'm really happy with them and would recommend them to anyone looking for rechargeable batteries.

For a charger I got the La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger. It's not a quick charger but it works great. Now that I have 16 batteries, I can charge them all the day before I plan on shooting and have enough ready to use that I don't need to have a quick charger. If I remember correctly (didn't reread my other thread) I thought someone recommended staying away from the quick chargers but I could be wrong.
    Thank you Mike. Do you charge all 16 batteries at the same time? Sounds to me like the eneloops are the way for me to go. The price is right and they work good according to all I read. I'll be happy to quit searching and reading on the subject.

I'll go find your old thread and read up on the charger you have.

Thanks again!

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Julie I use the Sanyo Eneloops in everything now. I switched to them almost two years ago to use in my D700 grip and was so pleased with their performance that I bought more and am using them in the flash as well. For me they have great staying power and saved me a bundle in battery cost over the last couple of years.
    This seals the deal for me on the eneloops. I bought a new camera a few months back and to have them in the grip would be awesome! Now to figure out how many I need and how I'm going to charge these puppies.

Thank you OT!

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Do you charge all 16 batteries at the same time?
    I try to keep them all charged, but my charger will only do 4 at a time.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I try to keep them all charged, but my charger will only do 4 at a time.
    I've been researching chargers and love that your charger has four independent channels along with a test mode.

How do you decide what rate to charge your batteries at?

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    I've been researching chargers and love that your charger has four independent channels along with a test mode.

How do you decide what rate to charge your batteries at?

I don't get that technical. I put the batteries in the charger and take them out when it says FULL. I didn't read any of the paperwork that came with it so I didn't even know I could change the charge rate. Guess I have some reading to do when I get home.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I don't get that technical. I put the batteries in the charger and take them out when it says FULL. I didn't read any of the paperwork that came with it so I didn't even know I could change the charge rate. Guess I have some reading to do when I get home.
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

I found your old thread and boy was there great info there. I just ordered my eneloops and for a charger I'm going to go with this one that was recommended in your thread. http://www.thomasdistributing.com/sh...rsllit8gi3gna7

Thanks again for all of the wonderful help!

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite