Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Rayovac HYBRID Rechargeable Batteries - Press Release

New HYBRID™ Batteries from Rayovac Deliver Best of Both Worlds

New Technology Combines Convenience of Alkaline and
    Economic, Environmental Benefits of Rechargeable Batteries

MADISON, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Each year, consumers spend more than $3.5 billion on batteries for everything from digital cameras to flashlights. But despite the obvious benefits of rechargeable batteries, including less environmental waste and costs savings over time, less than 5% of all the batteries sold in the U.S. are rechargeable. A new product from Rayovac promises to change all that. HYBRID™ Batteries, featuring a breakthrough technology, deliver the benefits of rechargeable batteries, but eliminate common user frustrations to provide the world’s most user-friendly rechargeable battery to date.

Rayovac, one of the nation’s top battery brands, has identified two main reasons why consumers have not been purchasing rechargeable batteries at a high rate since their introduction to the marketplace in 1996. One, all rechargeable batteries on the U.S. market today need to be charged, sometimes as long as a full day, prior to initial use. This makes them rather inconvenient for the consumers who recognize a need to use rechargeable batteries immediately, right out of the package.

Two, once charged, rechargeable batteries left sitting will discharge rather quickly when not in use, so they are dead when you are ready to use your device. Some batteries can drain in less than a month, without ever being used. Consumers accustomed to purchasing the always convenient alkaline batteries are often turned off by their first experience with traditional rechargeable products.

“Consumer frustrations with current rechargeable batteries have fueled our search for new technology at Rayovac, where we have strived to launch a product that changes the way the world looks at rechargeable batteries” said Sean Martin, vice president at Rayovac. “HYBRID rechargeable batteries combine all the economic and environmental benefits of rechargeables with the convenience and user-friendly attributes of the more common alkaline batteries.”

The new HYBRID batteries from Rayovac offer many benefits over both rechargeable and alkaline batteries on the market today. HYBRID batteries come charged and ready to use, which allows consumers to use them upon purchase. This is not the case with any other rechargeable battery on the U.S. market, which often need to be charged for several hours before use. The new batteries from Rayovac also self-discharge at a much slower rate, which means they stay charged for up to one year after charge.

The HYBRID batteries are also user-friendly because they work in all NiMH chargers and are suitable for use in any device.

The most important benefits, perhaps, are the performance and endurance characteristics of the HYBRID batteries. The new batteries hold their charge up to four times longer than conventional rechargeables when not in use and last three times longer than alkaline in high drain devices like digital cameras.

In addition, the HYBRID batteries make overall economic and environmental sense. It is estimated that one HYBRID battery can replace up to 1,500 alkaline batteries, giving consumers the ability to save thousands of dollars and keeping unnecessary waste out of landfills.

The HYBRID batteries from Rayovac are available at major mass, drug and department stores. Consumers can learn more about HYBRID batteries at www.Rayovac.com.

About Spectrum Brands, Inc.
    Spectrum Brands is a global consumer products company and a leading supplier of batteries, lawn and garden care products, specialty pet supplies, shaving, grooming and personal care products, household insecticides and portable lighting. Spectrum Brands' products are sold by the world's top 25 retailers and are available in more than one million stores in 120 countries around the world. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, with North America Headquarters located in Madison, Wisconsin, Spectrum Brands generates approximately $2.5 billion in annualized revenues and has approximately 10,000 employees worldwide. The company's stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SPC.

Other battery-related content on PhotographyREVIEW.com:
    All digital camera battery news >>
    Discuss batteries for photography and digital cameras >>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 01-03-2007 at 03:33 PM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Rayovac HYBRID Rechargeable Batteries - Press Release

Yes - at last - when will they available in the UK?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Yes - at last - when will they available in the UK?
    I've been told they should already be available in the UK, under the name Varta Ready2Use.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been told they should already be available in the UK, under the name Varta Ready2Use.
    John,

Thanks for the response.

Been searching for them in the UK. I think in the UK they are sold as

Uniross Ready To Use Hybrio Rechargeable AA (2100mAh) batteries

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'll do a UK/US price comparison and see if we need to order from the USA
    With the current pound/dollar exchange rate it's got to be cheaper, surely?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Been searching for them in the UK. I think in the UK they are sold as

Uniross Ready To Use Hybrio Rechargeable AA (2100mAh) batteries
    The name I gave you came from the US PR people. It's possible they made a mistake. It's a huge company and I have no doubt they use different brands in different parts of the world. I'll double check and see if I can find out anything else.
    Photo-John

Thread Information