Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Quick question for the beginner

Im currently attempting to photograph smaller key sized objects for an assessment im working on. I have an expensive camera/mp3 player/voice recorder which is more of a convenient trick than a camera. Im hoping to buy a serious camera later. My problem is that whenever i try to photograph something upclose it tends to blur and i cant find a manual focus. Nobody has any easy solutions do they?

Could someone also reccomend a digital camera for me i have $1000 australian dollars and need something that is good at smaller photography and is expandable to accomodate for that time when im less ignorant about the photographic world LOL.

Thanks for your help
    Jesse

Re: Quick question for the beginner

Most compact digital cameras are great at this, and usually need no other close-up lenses, etc. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 which has been discontinued for two years, but the Coolpix 5400 is very similar and since it was just recently discontinued you will probably find a good deal on it. The new 8400 might not be any better at this, either.

I can get within an inch of the subject in macro mode, and with good results. These cameras have tiny focal lengths - like 7-21mm - so the depth of field at the 35mm equivalent is much greater at the same aperture would be on a 35mm camera. Manual focus is pretty worthless on most of these though.

Get a sturdy tripod - the slightest camera movement will seriously affect the shot.

Thread Information