Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Can shipping ruin tempature regulated film?

Ok I first off I am new to the board.... I started out looking and had to join. I am also an INFANT when it comes to film....I Have the strogest desire to shoot with slide film...Love the satuation in the velia 50 ......$12.75 a ROLL In Lincoln NE . But I am wondering since this is supposed to be kept in the freezer will shipping damage it? Prolly a very stupid question... Cause is about 7 dollars cheeper @ B&H.....Also what online resourses would you recomend for purchacing slide film online? Thanks in advance -Mr.U

Re: Can shipping ruin tempature regulated film?

B&H is a good one and there are others too. Cold is fine - just don't order it in 95 degree heat and send it by the cheapest way! I try to stock up on film in the spring so I don't have to worry about it.

As long as it's refrigerated, you should be fine with Velvia. Freeze it if you're going to keep it for a long time (past exp date) but otherwise it shouldn't be necessary.

Welcome to the forum!

Re: Can shipping ruin tempature regulated film?

I have hauled film for Fuji before. They hire refrigerated trucks during the warm seasons, to maintain it at 55 degrees between warehouses.

The main concern, though, would be in regular retail shipment to you. Normal delivery trucks are subject to whatever the weather is....especially those dark brown UPS trucks under the summer sun - rolling Oven!

So definitely stick to 'cool season' shipping for film. I'd also advise this for any other temperature-sensitive items you regularly order from afar - such as printer/copier cartridges, for instance.

I'll second B&H being an excellent source. Reliable and reasonable, all around. They also turn enough volume, that you'll likely get fresher product there than most anywhere else. I have placed two orders with them recently for Konica print films. Certainly not their fastest seller, I;m sure - but the rolls I received ranged from 16-24 months til expiration. As a comparative guideline, I know that Fuji dates theirs 24 months from date of manufacture.

Thread Information