Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Photographing Crystal

I am photographing my wifes crystal with limited results. I am photographing them indoors using natural light from the front. With some of the larger pieces I seem to have no problem as with the Blue Flower Candleholder. However as can be seen with the small global candleholders I can get the back one in focus with the others to a different degree. Or I can get the front in focus with the rest blurred
    The camera is an EOS 550D. lens is the EF-S 17-85 IS USM
    The details of the picture are: f stop 7.1 > Exposure 3.2 seconds > ISO 100 > Focal length 64mm > White balance Auto > Manual setting.
    My other lenses are 50mm f 1.4 > 50mm f 1.8 > EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS > and the EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM.
    Can someone advise me as to where I am going wrong

Glenafton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photographing Crystal-img_2337-copy.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Photographing Crystal

are you zooming in to get such a close shot? this will narrow your depth of field (the portion of a photo from nearest to farthest from the lens that is in focus) there are two remedies available for this. 1 zoom out and move the camera closer and 2 select a smaller aperture (f7.1 isn't especially small) try F22 as a starting point and work your way up. Obviously this will mean you need a much longer exposure, so you may have to switch to bulb mode, or use a brighter light source.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

With those settings, you'd have to be about 2 feet away from the front edge of the candle holder.

Here's an online depth of field calculator. Someone here gave this to me long ago. If I could remember who, I'd gladly give them credit. I use it a lot:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Hope that helps,

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Skyman and Medley,
    Thank you for the helpful advice. To-morrow will probably see me turning into something of an expert. Now that I have a calculator I will be able to get the exact settings.
    Once again my grateful thanks.
    Glenafton

Thread Information