Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

Crystal Garden take 2....

Hi all,

I posted this picture on the board last autumn, almost straight out of the camera (some level work and an unsharp mask applied, period):
    Victoria's Crystal Garden

Following advices that I received then, I decided to get back at the same picture and work on it as much as I can:
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...sort=1&cat=500

Other than the obvious crop, I applied 5 unsharp masks, selectively blurred areas with the water droplet tool, adjusted levels and I tried to bring down brighter areas with the density tool. I usually do very little in Photoshop. This is the very first time that I go so far so I'd like to hear your opinions on the final result.

regards

Seb

Re: Crystal Garden take 2....

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hi all,

I posted this picture on the board last autumn, almost straight out of the camera (some level work and an unsharp mask applied, period):
    Victoria's Crystal Garden

Following advices that I received then, I decided to get back at the same picture and work on it as much as I can:
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...sort=1&cat=500

Other than the obvious crop, I applied 5 unsharp masks, selectively blurred areas with the water droplet tool, adjusted levels and I tried to bring down brighter areas with the density tool. I usually do very little in Photoshop. This is the very first time that I go so far so I'd like to hear your opinions on the final result.

regards

Seb
    Hey Seb,
    I'm checkin' your butterfly pic. You did a bang up job fixing up the exposure problems and the saturation is literally popping without being overblown.
    With this particular image the first thing I'd have done is cropped it square. The B-fly is your subject. All that blurry (sweet looking blur - I can see why it'd be hard to part with) area to the left has to go. I find my eye drawn to it as it is the brightest, biggest area of the pic.
    I'm not sure what's happening with the B-fly's head and wings, they seem blurry to me.
    Here's a crop I did. Hope you don't mind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crystal Garden take 2....-crystalgarden_gallery_.jpg  
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Photo
    Hey Seb,
    I'm checkin' your butterfly pic. You did a bang up job fixing up the exposure problems and the saturation is literally popping without being overblown.
    With this particular image the first thing I'd have done is cropped it square. The B-fly is your subject. All that blurry (sweet looking blur - I can see why it'd be hard to part with) area to the left has to go. I find my eye drawn to it as it is the brightest, biggest area of the pic.
    I'm not sure what's happening with the B-fly's head and wings, they seem blurry to me.
    Here's a crop I did. Hope you don't mind
    Hello JK_Photo,

Thank you for your imput. Your crop is an interesting one. One question though, where are the wings blurry??? I can easily see the issue with the head but the wings seem fine to me. I am missing something here.

Thanks

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello JK_Photo,

Thank you for your imput. Your crop is an interesting one. One question though, where are the wings blurry??? I can easily see the issue with the head but the wings seem fine to me. I am missing something here.

Thanks

Seb
    Sorry Seb, I should have gone back and done an edit of my post 'cause I realised when I looked back at the shot that the wings weren't really blurry.
    i apologise.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Photo
    Sorry Seb, I should have gone back and done an edit of my post 'cause I realised when I looked back at the shot that the wings weren't really blurry.
    i apologise.
    No problem JK! I was just worried that there might be something wrong with my eyes for a short while.

Then again, thank you for your help.

Seb

Seb, great edit. You did well as jon stated in bringing up the exposure in the subject and i like your crop, although Jon example works well too.
    My only nit pik is I feel you have gone too far with the unsharp mask in that it seems to be breaking up a bit. But, it can certainly remain as it is.
    btw, nice gallery. I enjoyed your other images very much.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Seb, great edit. You did well as jon stated in bringing up the exposure in the subject and i like your crop, although Jon example works well too.
    My only nit pik is I feel you have gone too far with the unsharp mask in that it seems to be breaking up a bit. But, it can certainly remain as it is.
    btw, nice gallery. I enjoyed your other images very much.
    Hey Gary, thank you for the kind words.

Looking back at this shot one day after the edit, I think that you are right on about the sharpening. I have applied several light unsharp masks for the sole purpose of not overdoing it but the shot might benefit from a more subtle effect. I will rework the whole thing and post it back in my gallery this week end.

regards

Seb

Thread Information