Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Need a tripod. A good one

Hey guys,
    wondering your experiences with tripods.
    Need it nice and sturdy and preferably not too heavy.
    Maybe with a ball head or something.

Ghost

Re: Need a tripod. A good one

How much do you want to spend on it? If you have about $1000 US then I've a good suggestion for you

^_^ I dont need something too fancy
    I'm not sure how much i need to get a decent one

Hi,

My old slik just gave up the ghost and I am looking for a new tripod too.

I was looking at the Manfrotto 714B which is nice and light for hiking around and looks the right height. All I need now is to get my hands on one to check it out.

Anyone got one? would buy it again?
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

...to Support What Gear? ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    For me its a Canon PowerShot Pro 1 and a Panasonic Digital Video Camera about the same weight as the Pro.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

bogen 3001BN legs(50.5 inches without column extended) or the 3001BPRO with a KIRK BH3 ballhead.... CAN'T BE BEAT, though the head is $240

http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheadbh3.html

here is a head that may be of interest , RATED HIGHLY http://www.photographyreview.com/Tri...5_3134crx.aspx

click on the B&H link on the above page(link helps pay this sites operating cost)

are you sure you want a ball head, as I only found the EXPENSIVE ones to work good for panning type shots. A 3-way head may be your best bet?

panheads I suggest are BOGEN 3047, BOGEN 329RC4 and the slik 700dx 3 way head. ALL the 3 way(pan /tilt ) heads have GREAT quick release heads

My tripod is 5 years old a beat silly. It is a SLIK 700DX that cost me $129 and though it wieghs like 6/7 pounds I LOVE IT.I hardly use a tripod though in my style, but it HAS EASILY supported a 10 pound camera!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Well, if you've won the Lottery, there are certainly plenty of high end vendors ready to take your money. Then, of course, there's the rest of us - who still have to work for a living, and need maximum bang for every buck.

My 'Trucking Tripod', which has been thru the wars and is still going strong, is a Velbon S-6000. This has been the tripod for much of my outdoor work the past few years, and supports a Maxxum 7 with a long tele just fine. Has the 3-way head with a quick-release plate, and I think it was $49.

My Davis & Sanford Monopod is well made, and has been excellent. On that basis, I would check out their Tripod line, which covers all ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Leica M4

gotta fill in more words to meet the 10character requirement -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie
    Well, if you've won the Lottery, there are certainly plenty of high end vendors ready to take your money. Then, of course, there's the rest of us - who still have to work for a living, and need maximum bang for every buck.

My 'Trucking Tripod', which has been thru the wars and is still going strong, is a Velbon S-6000. This has been the tripod for much of my outdoor work the past few years, and supports a Maxxum 7 with a long tele just fine. Has the 3-way head with a quick-release plate, and I think it was $49.

My Davis & Sanford Monopod is well made, and has been excellent. On that basis, I would check out their Tripod line, which covers all ranges.
    Ack Velbon...
    My buddy has a Velbon himself...dont know which model his is, but it sux big time. He admits it too. Light and flimsy piece and has a crap head (not even a quick release plate)

OK then - scratch Velbon. That still leaves a few thousand others to choose from.

At home, I have an older Vivitar 'Video Tripod', from back in the days when camcorders were big and heavy. The thing is solid as a rock, and would probably support ME - but it's also a real heavy sucker, that I for one ain't gonna lug around in the field. It will soon see regular use again though, as my 'studio tripod', when time allows me to get to working with a recently acquired Monolight set and backgrounds.

I also have, riding 'shotgun' in my Pickup, Wal-Mart's current top of the line generic - labeled MX-4000. It has a number of features developed by Davis & Sanford, and I suspect it may be 'private labeled' by them. Reasonably solid for the price class - $39. Check it out.

davis & sandford make a few in the 80-100 range that look nice
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

My original suggestions
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information