Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

beginner doing it wrong?

Am i doing things wrong? Take 50 pictures and 1 or 2 turn out. i adjust the camera settings as best i know how but my selection of settings never gets the picture, usually its just because i found the best setting by trying different things out not knowing exactly whats going to happen. should i go back to basics and learn the fundementals or keep on this try-it-and-see route. do you turn up at a scene and know which settings will be best with the first few clicks so you can carry on looking for more pictures?

I know its all a learning process but id like to feel like im improving rather than just hitting and hoping.

thanks for any advice

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Are you shooting film or digital?

The percentage of "keepers" you mention was actually pretty standard with film, even for pros. Getting a couple or a few really good shots a roll, while not exactly a stellar batting average, was always considered good enough for most commercial work.

In the age of digital, however, I think there is little excuse for missing on that many shots, even with a small LCD screen.

What exactly do you find wrong with the shots you feel fail? Is it an exposure thing? Or more the composition?

Not to sound my own horn, but if you check out my recent post on improving your shooting:
    Three simple ways to improve your photography..., I think you may soon learn to see better and increase your percentage of better shots.

If you can be more specific about your problems, we can give you better advice...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

for me, I count on:

1 in 1000 to be "gallery" shots I'd have no shame putting a hefty price tag on.
    1 in 500 to be "printable" shots that would be like $15 dollar matted prints.
    1 in 100 to be "keepable" shots that I might put up in my bedroom.

all the rest are JUNK. BTW, these numbers dont count shots of vacations, friends, family fun... these numbers are for my professional hopes of selling prints. Lord knows I've got over a thousand shots of my girlfriend I'll never get rid of.

this means if I wanted to have a booth at next springs Art Festival with 25 prints for sale, I have to shoot at least 25,000 shots in the next 8 months =D. I can do it. And so can you!
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

When I was shooting a lot of slide film, I usually figured that I'd like about three per roll of 36. Depending on what I was shooting and how I was doing it, that number might be higher or lower. Sure, there were times I'd throw the whole roll out but I didn't worry about it as long as I learned something from it. With digital, I think my percentage of "keepers" is higher because I can see if what I am trying is working. Sometimes I shoot more than I would have with film - sometimes less.

I think that a combination of both approaches is important. Read about a technique, but you don't really learn it until you've tried it yourself. The more you do it, the more you will be able to predict the results. You'll know how your camera's meter will respond to a situation and can act accordingly depending on the results you want. This is true not just of the technical aspects but also of composition.

Last year, I saw a nature shot as I drove by it. I pulled the car over, shot it and got exactly what I wanted with one shot. Sure, it was digital so I could verify it was what I wanted, but film would have been the same result. I did change the composition a little with a couple of other shots, but liked the first one best. That's one of my favorites and I have a print hanging here of it. This happens very rarely though! Like they say, chance favors the prepared mind.

Get a book on the style of shooting that interests you, then try to apply that knowledge. Go back later and re-read it, you may pick up more from it with a little experience.

It's hurricane season... again...
    This sounds pretty normal for me too, but I am a beginner as well. I can go through several shots of the same scene before even one "jumps out" at me. I'm just going to keep practicing!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thread Information