Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Metering and Exposure question

I have a Canon EOS Rebel 2000. Also, I forgot to mention that this picture was actually taken at about 7:00 pm, not in the overcast morning as 1st mentioned. Also I tried metering the green foilage positioned in the center left portion of the image. I also too a picture that was -1 stop exposure and the normal center exposure. Neither of those were to my liking. I would have to agree with you on the constastiness (if that is a real word ;)), but unsure wha tI could do to fix this. Lastly, you mentioned slide film would not be color compensated like the negative prints are, should I then move to slide film or just stick with what I'm doing?

Re: Metering and Exposure question

Two things:

Light is too contrasty? Have to wait until later or come back another time. Nature photography is all about the light...

Slide film has less exposure latitude, so you'll see a difference in 1/3 stop. For this reason it's not a good idea to do a shot like this unless you have an overcast day. Well - try it to see what happens, it's part of the learning process - but don't spend a lot of time or film on it. An overcast day will also make the colors "pop". There is nothing like slide film and a spot meter to really teach you how exposure works though - if the slide is right or wrong it's all because of how the photographer did it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information