Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

medium format formats

I'm stuck in between either one of the three formats

6x7 6x8 6x9

What you guys think is the optimal for landscapes, people, etc?

Re: medium format formats

Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    I'm stuck in between either one of the three formats

6x7 6x8 6x9

What you guys think is the optimal for landscapes, people, etc?
    I have heard it said, that 6x7 is the "ideal" format. Perfect aspect ratio with no cropping needed supposedly. Now 6x9, that would also be a good ratio. In fact it would be the same ratio as 35mm, 2:3 ratio. I don't know about 6x8. A rather odd size. I don't really know of many cameras that are 6x8. Come to think of it, not many that are 6x9 either. Unless you count technical cameras as such, but there you may as well leap into large format. Hope this helps.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

actually, 6x9 was the most popular format in the old days when 35mm was not around.

The reason why i dont want large format is because the convenience of roll film allows me to travel around without sheet film. Its easy to store away 10 rolls. Not so easy to store away 80 sheets!

Fuji used to make some really nice 6x9 rangefinders. "Texas Leicas" they were nicknamed. They're still worth a fair amount of money on ebay, though - unlike a lot of MF gear. Fuji also makes (made?) the GX680 which is kind of a scaled down LF camera with movements, etc. It's 6x8, and the only one I know of in that format - doesn't sound like what you're looking for though.

6x7 is very common and there are a lot of great systems selling for bargains these days, for example Mamiya RZ series. I wouldn't go with 645 or 6x6 personally, but any of the sizes you list would be good choices. 645 is bigger than 35mm, but 6x7 is about twice as big as 645. 6x6 gets cropped down to about the 645 size for most prints... If you're going to the trouble of carrying it and using it, you might as well have a big negative.

Mamiya Man

Well, my first medium format is 6x6 and it is a pain sometimes to crop it right because you have details in the picture you want to keep in, I hate it. I use my 6x6 as my spare. I use mamiya mf cameras. My c33 made in 1969 still is a tank and every so often when I use it the shutter speeds are still accurate. For 95% of my medium format is done with a rb67 pro-s. it is not as bad to carry around as some say, it is bulky but the revolving back is awsome. want a veritical picture revolve the back and leave the camera where it's at on the tripod. the 150mm sf lens takes some of the most beautiful pictures, I can adjust the soft focus if I want or take really sharp pictures stopping it down. when I use porta uc film the colors pop, and enjoy the pictures I take with that lense and to me that lense takes as good if not better pictures that my canon L lenses.

Magoo.

Thread Information