Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Manfrotto 322rc2 help needed

Haven't used a friction head before. When setting the friction, do you turn dial all the way down til it locks the head and just down enough to hold the camera in place? Also, when you squeeze the grip handle, does that release the tension to make it easier to reposition the camera? If so, is there any reason why you wouldn't notice the change in the tension when squeezing the handle? On the one I have, everything seems to work, but there is no noticeable change in tension when I squeeze the handle. Doesn't seem right to me. Any help from someone who owns a 322rc2 will be appreciated.

Re: Manfrotto 322rc2 help needed

First off I would like to welcome you to Photography review. You will find many helpful members here with all ranges of experience from beginner to professional. We hope you will stick around and join in the fun. As far as you question, when you squeeze the grip you should be able to easily rotate and position the camera and then release the grip for it to stay in place. The wheel is for adjusting the friction applied to the ball to accommodate different weight loads. I have the Manfrotto 322rc2 head and also have the Manfrotto bogen 3047 head but with the ease of use the 322rc2 is on my tri pod 100% of the time and I am very happy with it, Jeff

I might add that the allen screw next to where your thumb would be on the pistol grip will also adjust the holding strength. The wheel is for quick adjustments and the screw is for adjusting the tension for holding power when the wheel is turned to the tighter position. This may be adjusted to tight, not letting you to have any movement when the grip is squeezed.
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The little dial is not the friction control, it is a minor friction adjustment. If you look on the back side of the 322 up at the head you will see a large opening containing a set screw. That is the friction control. Adjust it as you prefer on the head and use the dial to make minor adjustments in grip tension.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    The little dial is not the friction control, it is a minor friction adjustment. If you look on the back side of the 322 up at the head you will see a large opening containing a set screw. That is the friction control. Adjust it as you prefer on the head and use the dial to make minor adjustments in grip tension.
    You may want to re read what I wrote, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks. I used a metric hex wrench to adjust the set screw and that was it. It works perfectly now. And I was just about ready to send it back to the guy I got it from on eBay. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by robinhunter
    Thanks. I used a metric hex wrench to adjust the set screw and that was it. It works perfectly now. And I was just about ready to send it back to the guy I got it from on eBay. Thanks again.
    Glad you have it fixed! Now stick around and post some of your pictures so we can see how well it works, Jeff

Thread Information