Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Question Bogen 322RC2 Grip action ballhead

I have been doing some research on a new tripod for myself. I have it narrowed down between the Bogen 3021, and the 3221. The head I'm considering is the 322RC2. I saw one at a camera store yesterday I looked and felt very smooth and easy to use. I looked at the reviews on this page and found 1 review that gave this item a rating of 5. That's great, but I was hoping for a little more than one persons opinion. I did a quick search on the net and all I could find for reviews was the same one. Does anyone here use this ballhead or know of anyone who has it and if so what are your/their thoughts on it? Or, maybe you also looked at this one and decided to go with something else... I would love to know why. This is the only ballhead of this style that I have looked at so if there is something similar that you know of, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Bogen 322RC2 Grip action ballhead

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I have been doing some research on a new tripod for myself. I have it narrowed down between the Bogen 3021, and the 3221. The head I'm considering is the 322RC2. I saw one at a camera store yesterday I looked and felt very smooth and easy to use. I looked at the reviews on this page and found 1 review that gave this item a rating of 5. That's great, but I was hoping for a little more than one persons opinion. I did a quick search on the net and all I could find for reviews was the same one. Does anyone here use this ballhead or know of anyone who has it and if so what are your/their thoughts on it? Or, maybe you also looked at this one and decided to go with something else... I would love to know why. This is the only ballhead of this style that I have looked at so if there is something similar that you know of, please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
    Hello There
    I got the 322RC2 ball head and a manfrotto (Bogen in the states) 055Pro tripod for myself for Christmas. and gave it my first outing two days ago taking lots of shots in poor light.
    I thought the head was excellent giving me every angle I needed with ease. The tripod is strong and sturdy but also not too heavy to carry on my shoulder. I was delighted with both and I'm sure that you will pick them up a lot cheaper in the States than what I had to fork out.
    Hope this helps
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Hello There
    I got the 322RC2 ball head and a manfrotto (Bogen in the states) 055Pro tripod for myself for Christmas. and gave it my first outing two days ago taking lots of shots in poor light.
    I thought the head was excellent giving me every angle I needed with ease. The tripod is strong and sturdy but also not too heavy to carry on my shoulder. I was delighted with both and I'm sure that you will pick them up a lot cheaper in the States than what I had to fork out.
    Hope this helps
    Tom

Hey Tom, thanks for the quick reply!!! Can I pick your brain with a few more questions? First of all, what type of system are you using with this setup? 35mm, digital, medium format? Sencond, and this has me a little concerned is that in he description for this grip, I read that it can handle up to 11 pounds, but in the vertical position it is only rated for 5 pounds. I shoot with a DRebel w/ verticle battery grip w/2 batteries, and if I put my large zoom lens on it, it doesn't take long to be over 5 pounds... I guess my question is, did you try out this grip in the verticle position with a heavy load on it?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Hey Tom, thanks for the quick reply!!! Can I pick your brain with a few more questions? First of all, what type of system are you using with this setup? 35mm, digital, medium format? Sencond, and this has me a little concerned is that in he description for this grip, I read that it can handle up to 11 pounds, but in the vertical position it is only rated for 5 pounds. I shoot with a DRebel w/ verticle battery grip w/2 batteries, and if I put my large zoom lens on it, it doesn't take long to be over 5 pounds... I guess my question is, did you try out this grip in the verticle position with a heavy load on it?

Hello Again
    I currently use a Canon G5 and maybe some day I will move to DSLR. I did some research before I purchased. On its side the head will take 5.5lbs. The Rebel weighs 22.8ozs including battery. A lens such as a Canon 75-300 weighs about 17 ozs giving a total of 40 ozs (2.5 pounds.) Still room for the battery grip.So no problem there. That would be the longest lens I would ever buy. But there is room for something heavier if needed.
    Hope that helps. I don't think you will have a problem unless you are putting a bazooka on it.. My set up is a bit OTT for the G5 but I am thinking of the future. Anyway its a good idea to have a good strong support whatever is sitting on top. The feel of the head and tripod is so solid and you know you have made a good investment.
    Whatever you decide enjoy using it.
    Have a great New Year
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Hello Again
    I currently use a Canon G5 and maybe some day I will move to DSLR. I did some research before I purchased. On its side the head will take 5.5lbs. The Rebel weighs 22.8ozs including battery. A lens such as a Canon 75-300 weighs about 17 ozs giving a total of 40 ozs (2.5 pounds.) Still room for the battery grip.So no problem there. That would be the longest lens I would ever buy. But there is room for something heavier if needed.
    Hope that helps. I don't think you will have a problem unless you are putting a bazooka on it.. My set up is a bit OTT for the G5 but I am thinking of the future. Anyway its a good idea to have a good strong support whatever is sitting on top. The feel of the head and tripod is so solid and you know you have made a good investment.
    Whatever you decide enjoy using it.
    Have a great New Year
    Tom
    Thanks again for the info Tom! I just put my DRebel and my largest lens, Sigma 170-500mm on the bathroom scale and they weighed in at 5 pounds so I should be ok.

Thanks again and have a great New Year!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Ghost

If possible, try it out in a store first. Bring your equipment with you. If that's not possible, order it from somewhere that will let you return it with losing too much money from shipping charges, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    If possible, try it out in a store first. Bring your equipment with you. If that's not possible, order it from somewhere that will let you return it with losing too much money from shipping charges, etc.

Thanks for the advice Trevor. I realized after my last post that my large zoom lens has a tripod mount on the the lens itself, and I can go from horizontal to vertical using that mounting ring, and not have to adjust the ballhead from the horizontal position at all. This means that I won't have to worry about the weight when shooting vertically with my largest lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I have the 322RC2 mounted on a 3021BPRO. I have a DRebel, 70-200 F2.8L IS, the double battery pack/grip and a 550 EX flash (flash usually just used with my smaller zoom). No problem with stability. When mounting to the lens collar, the collar must be loosened and the camera rotated about 45 degrees to engage the quick-release on the ballhead (to clear the battery pack). Then you can line up the collar in the normal position and tighten.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cush
    I have the 322RC2 mounted on a 3021BPRO. I have a DRebel, 70-200 F2.8L IS, the double battery pack/grip and a 550 EX flash (flash usually just used with my smaller zoom). No problem with stability. When mounting to the lens collar, the collar must be loosened and the camera rotated about 45 degrees to engage the quick-release on the ballhead (to clear the battery pack). Then you can line up the collar in the normal position and tighten.

Thanks for the heads up Cush. My cheapo Walmart tripod has the same problem.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I would hate to state the negatives, but ..

from my research of this head I came up with the general belief that it will support you gear , but MIGHT creep on downward angles.

ALSO know that in order to move the position you need to squeeze the handle. Not good for moving/ changing subject matter for extended periods due to hand fatique ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    I would hate to state the negatives, but ..

from my research of this head I came up with the general belief that it will support you gear , but MIGHT creep on downward angles.

ALSO know that in order to move the position you need to squeeze the handle. Not good for moving/ changing subject matter for extended periods due to hand fatique ;)

Thanks so much for your imput Paul!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information