Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I lost my quick release plate and I can't find a replacement

Hello all,

I have a Manfrotto 329 head (the original 329 not the RC4) and my qr plate recently went on walk about and is lost. None of my local camera shops can get one due to age and Bogen no longer manufacturing them apparently. Bogen's parts dept. was kind enough to supply me with a the part number, 329PL-14. I have Googled around and the only place I can find the plate for sale online is an UK camera shop that doesn't ship to the US. Does anyone have this plate or know of some place I can get one? I ordered what tripodquickrelease.com said was the right plate but of course it wasn't and ebay has been a no go. Any and all help is appreciated. I really like this head and I would hate to have to toss it just because of a 2" x 3" bit of metal.

Re: I lost my quick release plate and I can't find a replacement

PS
    Here is the site where I found the plate: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1008046

That is one of the main problems with a Manfrotto QR system. They are incompatible with anything else and they are all different. Arca QRs don't have that problem, they are universal.

In the little bit of research I did I think it cross references to this:
    http://tripodquickrelease.com/Bogen2_Quick_Releases.htm
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Perchance what part of the country are you in. Molers Camera in Wichita, KS has a used one with the quick release mount for I believe $5.00. Long shot I know, but stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    That is one of the main problems with a Manfrotto QR system. They are incompatible with anything else and they are all different. Arca QRs don't have that problem, they are universal.

I don't think that is the proper QR plate. That looks to be the RC2 plate. I could be wrong though. The older plate was square not rectangular.

I agree with the Arca Swiss comment with some reservations. I use the Arca Swiss on everything and while the dimensions are the same the safety features are not. I only use RRS or Wimberley plates as they are compatable with RRS, Kirk and Wimberley QR clamps and safety stop system. Of course that only matters if you use the safety stop.

Thank you for your response. I ordered that plate from tripodquickrelease.com. They don't know what they're talking about. That plate is HUGE (like 6" x 4"s). I'm not sure what head it's meant for but it is undoubtedly a beast to behold. I got it today and I am mailing it back first thing Monday. Despite listing it on their site, they do not have the proper plate for the 329 head.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    Perchance what part of the country are you in. Molers Camera in Wichita, KS has a used one with the quick release mount for I believe $5.00. Long shot I know, but stranger things have happened.
    I am in Minneapolis. Do you have any contact info for this shop? Thank you for your help.

This is the proper plate I believe. Again, I found it here: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1008046 but no US shipping.

The plate at the bottom of the page is the correct plate but they list it as no longer available. To quote them: "This is an unusual item since there was only two model heads
    using this quick release plate." And there in lies the problem.:mad2:

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyryancarr
    I am in Minneapolis. Do you have any contact info for this shop? Thank you for your help.
    They are just a mom and pop shop but you could try calling them on Monday. They had one last Saturday that had been in the used head case. I think it was around $5.00
    Moler's Camera
    316-685-1114

Any chance that the QR clamp will come off of the head you have now? If so you might want to look at this instead.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tem_Quick.html

RC2 plates are very common and can usually be found at any photography shop that carries Manfrotto.

I don't think that is the proper QR plate. That looks to be the RC2 plate. I could be wrong though. The older plate was square not rectangular.

I agree with the Arca Swiss comment with some reservations. I use the Arca Swiss on everything and while the dimensions are the same the safety features are not. I only use RRS or Wimberley plates as they are compatable with RRS, Kirk and Wimberley QR clamps and safety stop system. Of course that only matters if you use the safety stop.
    I don't use the safety stop, but you can still use any Arca plate with any Arca type QR clamp whether or not it has a safety stop. You can also buy plates that fits your equipment from Acratech, Wimberly, Arca Swiss, RSS, and Kirk, and there may be others.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I don't use the safety stop, but you can still use any Arca plate with any Arca type QR clamp whether or not it has a safety stop. You can also buy plates that fits your equipment from Acratech, Wimberly, Arca Swiss, RSS, and Kirk, and there may be others.
    Yes you can. I just wanted to point out the two different safety systems I have seen used for anyone thinking of going arca-swiss. While I normally don't use a safety stop, with my 400 f2.8 I do use it when it is mounted on my monopod as an extra precaution.

this one looks close, at the price(shipping is a little expensive)it may be worth a chance.

this one looks close, at the price(shipping is a little expensive)it may be worth a chance.
    It does indeed look close. I placed a bid. Thank you very much for the link. Odd that it's grey. Maybe the other head that used this plate was that color.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

but no US shipping.
    I'll give them a call.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Grey and with a cork insert instead of rubber dates it !
    I'm checking with warehouseexpress (I use them quite a bit) on US shipping.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I'll give them a call.
    You are a gentleman and a scholar.

They are just a mom and pop shop but you could try calling them on Monday. They had one last Saturday that had been in the used head case. I think it was around $5.00
    Moler's Camera
    316-685-1114

Any chance that the QR clamp will come off of the head you have now? If so you might want to look at this instead.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tem_Quick.html

RC2 plates are very common and can usually be found at any photography shop that carries Manfrotto.
    I looked at that adapter. The problem is that you have to mount it to an existing 1/4" head bolt. It's really meant for converting a non-qr head to a qr head.
    Last edited by jeremyryancarr; 04-26-2009 at 01:56 PM.

I looked at that adapter. The problem is that you have to mount it to an existing 1/4" head bolt. It's really meant for converting a non-qr head to a qr head.

Disregard. The head you have does not have a removeable quick release mount. It is the old all in one system. You might be better off looking for something newer that uses the RC2 system unless you are willing to move up to arca-swiss.

Disregard. The head you have does not have a removeable quick release mount. It is the old all in one system. You might be better off looking for something newer that uses the RC2 system unless you are willing to move up to arca-swiss.
    Right. It's not that I'm necessarily married to this head it's just that it is a very good head and it would be a shame to chuck it out over the plate. I like this head for studio work because of it's stability and you can mount almost anything on it. It could take the weight of a grown man with a child on his shoulders standing on it.
    Thank you one and all for the advice and help. I am overwhelmed at the response this post has received. You lot have to be the most helpful and generous group on the net.:thumbsup:

Well I won it for $3 and the seller agreed to 1st Class shipping instead. So we'll see. I'd still prefer the black one with rubber insert but we know what they say about beggars and choosers.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Well, they don't ship to the USA
    If you can't find it anywhere closer to home, drop me a Private Message.
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Well, they don't ship to the USA
    If you can't find it anywhere closer to home, drop me a Private Message.
    Thank you very much for giving it a go for me. Thanks to Facebook, I discovered that I have a friend in England. She's originally from the states but lives and works in London now. At any rate, she's going to order the plate for me and send it stateside in exchange for some good ol' US junk food that she can't find there. Thank you everyone sincerely. This has been great and I am overwhelmed at how helpful you all have been.
    This time I will not lose the dang plate! :mad2:

Glad you've got a source.
    I used to ship stuff out in exchange for Oreos; now I get my own Oreos when I go over for races in the US
    PAul

It does indeed look close. I placed a bid. Thank you very much for the link. Odd that it's grey. Maybe the other head that used this plate was that color.
    Well the ebay plate showed up yesterday and it was a success. It does look odd to have a grey plate with a cork insert on a black head but I'm back in business and a friend in the UK is shipping me the real deal next week. Thank you one and all but a special thanks to EOSthree for tracking down the ebay auction. If I could ship you a beer by mail I would.
    Sincere thanks to all of you for your help and knowledge.:thumbsup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information