Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Talking digital lens vs 35 mm lens

I'm getting ready to invest in a 20D. I have a couple of Sigmas and a Tamron for my Rebel 2000 right now, but none quite as fast as I'd like (fastest is 28-80/f3.5-5.6). I really like what I've read about the Sigma 70-200/f2.8, but it's not "made" for digital. Sigma sells an 18-125/f3.5-5.6 DC that is "made" for digital but I'd like something a little faster.

Am I correct in that the image circle is designed to match the size of the image sensor of digital SLR cameras on Sigmas DC? What, if anything, do I lose by not going with a DC?

Thanks.

Re: digital lens vs 35 mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by siberia1997
    I'm getting ready to invest in a 20D. I have a couple of Sigmas and a Tamron for my Rebel 2000 right now, but none quite as fast as I'd like (fastest is 28-80/f3.5-5.6). I really like what I've read about the Sigma 70-200/f2.8, but it's not "made" for digital. Sigma sells an 18-125/f3.5-5.6 DC that is "made" for digital but I'd like something a little faster.
    Am I correct in that the image circle is designed to match the size of the image sensor of digital SLR cameras on Sigmas DC? What, if anything, do I lose by not going with a DC?
    Thanks.
    Tamron claims special lens coatings for digital; Sigma uses similar vague descriptions. The real difference is, as you surmise, the image circle is smaller. This allows smaller, lighter lenses. So far, no one is making a truly fast lens for the smaller APS-C image circle. If you want something comparable to a fast "normal" lens on your film Rebel, you could look at the Canon 35mm F2. On the 20D, it is like a 55mm would be on your film cam, in terms of angle of view. The Canon 50mm F1.8 is also very popular, primarily due to its low price--around $70 US. On your 20D, it will be like a short telephoto lens. Problem with that is the narrow angle of view reduces its usefulness indoors--unless you have really big rooms and can step w a a y back to take a picture.

I shoot with the sigma f2.8 70-200 and a digital rebel and it works fine for me. I

Quote Originally Posted by wburychka
    Tamron claims special lens coatings for digital; Sigma uses similar vague descriptions. The real difference is, as you surmise, the image circle is smaller. This allows smaller, lighter lenses. So far, no one is making a truly fast lens for the smaller APS-C image circle. If you want something comparable to a fast "normal" lens on your film Rebel, you could look at the Canon 35mm F2. On the 20D, it is like a 55mm would be on your film cam, in terms of angle of view. The Canon 50mm F1.8 is also very popular, primarily due to its low price--around $70 US. On your 20D, it will be like a short telephoto lens. Problem with that is the narrow angle of view reduces its usefulness indoors--unless you have really big rooms and can step w a a y back to take a picture.
    Thanks for your help.

I appreciate your help.

Thread Information