Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

External Flash and Digital Rebel..... Help.

I hate to admit it, but I don't even own an external flash for my camera. I was curious if anyone knew what types of flash units will work with my digital rebel. I work for my university's newspaper (mostly sports) but there are times where I reeealy wish I had a decent flash. I have a limited budget (I'm a college student) so I have to take that into account. I was curious if anyone could give me advice on how well they last, if I could buy a decent one used, what brands to avoid etc...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    -Ryon

Re: External Flash and Digital Rebel..... Help.

One thing I learned, in this day in age, go with OEM. If you have Canon, go canon. I shoot with a 10D and have a 420EX, it is pretty well all idiot proof, yet does a really good job and is very well priced. If you go sigma or metz, it may work now, but may not work tomorrow, and probably won't work with your next camera.

What is OEM?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguyinlj
    What is OEM?
    Original Equipment, canon camera=canon flash, nikon camera =nikon flash, and so on. I don't like to mix and match brands for incompatibility reasons.

misanthrope

Yes, definitely go with Canon Speedlites.
    The DRebel is an E-TTL camera, so you can use all the current flashes that Canon makes to their fullest. The cheapest new Canon Speedlite you can get is the 220 EX, for about $110. But it isn't really what you need for newspaper stuff.
    You can get a new 420EX for like $175, but this may be a little too high for you. Older EZ- series Speedlites will probably work with the DRebel, but I think they would revert to A-TTL and you get no FP flash. Still, I have not upgraded to an EX series flash, mainly beacuse I don't have a couple of hundred sitting around. I would love a 550 or the new 580, but still, the money ain't there.
    I use a 420 EZ, which has always done wonderfully for me. It's been discontinued for years now but it works without problems on my 7N, and I have no complaints except the lack of FP flash and E-TTL.
    Maybe a used flash is indeed in your future. Just be sure it does tilt/swivel and get a diffuser and an off-shoe cord. A flash bracket might be a little too much but still couldn't hurt.
    Here's a link to all things Canon flash:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

thanks. That's a lot of good info.

What exactly does A-TTL and E-TTL mean? I am still somewhat new to flash photography.

Thread Information