Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Smile Lens for digital slr vs. 35 mm slr

I'm getting ready to invest in a 20D. I have a couple of Sigmas and a Tamron for my Rebel 2000 right now, but none quite as fast as I'd like (fastest is 28-80/f3.5-5.6). I really like what I've read about the Sigma 70-200/f2.8, but it's not "made" for digital. Sigma sells an 18-125/f3.5-5.6 DC that is "made" for digital but I'd like something a little faster.

Am I correct in that the image circle is designed to match the size of the image sensor of digital SLR cameras on Sigmas DC? What, if anything, do I lose by not going with a DC?

Thanks.

Re: Lens for digital slr vs. 35 mm slr

The DC's also have a special coating to reduce ghosting, which isn't necessary for "film" lenses because film is now made to prevent ghosting (I think...).

Personally, I'm not too impressed with all the "digital" lens hype. Seems somewhat superfluous to me. But maybe there are others who see a genuine benefit.

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Lens for digital slr vs. 35 mm slr

Quote Originally Posted by siberia1997
    I'm getting ready to invest in a 20D. I have a couple of Sigmas and a Tamron for my Rebel 2000 right now, but none quite as fast as I'd like (fastest is 28-80/f3.5-5.6). I really like what I've read about the Sigma 70-200/f2.8, but it's not "made" for digital. Sigma sells an 18-125/f3.5-5.6 DC that is "made" for digital but I'd like something a little faster.

Am I correct in that the image circle is designed to match the size of the image sensor of digital SLR cameras on Sigmas DC? What, if anything, do I lose by not going with a DC?

Thanks.

You have cross-posted in three forums. Don't do that! Choose one and stick with it.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

DC is mostly just marketing

I have a Canon EOS 10D, and I don't own one digitally optimized lens.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thread Information