Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Talking Custom developing question...

Remember me? I posted awhile back about hiring students to photograph my wedding. I am now sitting here with tons of film and I am a bitscared to get it processed. I have many labs to chose from in the next nearest city (about an hour drive). I have chosen two of them (I emailed a bunch of "professionals" asking them about their format and who they use for processing. Two of them actually answered my questions and these are the two labs they used) I will take 2 rolls in, one to each lab. Since I am unfamiliar with custom labs, I am a little nervous going in there. I want to know what I am talking about before I step in the door. From the website of one of them, I notice that it is one price to process the film, and a seperate price per print. I want 2 sets but not necessarily each print since there may be some that dont turn out.

Should I have them process the film with 2 sets (since its a bit cheaper to get the prints at the time of processing) or have the film processed with a contact sheet and then order prints as I need them? Are there any other options that I should be considering? THANKS!!!

Can I count on a custom lab to be better processing all the way around? or should i ask questionss first?

if you have lots of film but don't want a print of each shot, going to a custom lab can get expensive to have prints made of each shot. a contact sheet from each roll would be good way to go. then order prints as you need/want them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Process with proof sheets...

...is probably what you want. The lab processes the film, cuts it into strips, and prints a contact proof sheet.

I can't imagine you'd want a print of every shot, let alone two. Even with whatever discount you'd get at the time, it would probably be wasting money. Weddings are like any commercial shoot; editing and being selective in choosing reprints is the norm.

Then again, if we're not talking about a huge sum of money (if they have a machine print service), it may actually be better to have the prints made and then use them as large "proofs". This may give you a better idea of how good each shot really is. If you're not used to viewing contact sheets on a light table with a lupe, this would be easier.

As for determining the quality of the lab. pros' word of mouth is probably as good as anything. But it would be smart (as you seem to have already figured out) just to process a single roll first, then determine how good a job they did by evaluating that.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by bridezillah
    Remember me? I posted awhile back about hiring students to photograph my wedding. I am now sitting here with tons of film and I am a bitscared to get it processed. I have many labs to chose from in the next nearest city (about an hour drive). I have chosen two of them (I emailed a bunch of "professionals" asking them about their format and who they use for processing. Two of them actually answered my questions and these are the two labs they used) I will take 2 rolls in, one to each lab. Since I am unfamiliar with custom labs, I am a little nervous going in there. I want to know what I am talking about before I step in the door. From the website of one of them, I notice that it is one price to process the film, and a seperate price per print. I want 2 sets but not necessarily each print since there may be some that dont turn out.

Should I have them process the film with 2 sets (since its a bit cheaper to get the prints at the time of processing) or have the film processed with a contact sheet and then order prints as I need them? Are there any other options that I should be considering? THANKS!!!

Can I count on a custom lab to be better processing all the way around? or should i ask questionss first?
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I wouldn't get two proofs of everything. Contact sheets should save you some money over standard 3-1/2 x 5 proofs, but they're obviously very small. Unless you have a good loupe to check the negative with, it's hard to tell from a contact sheet if a shot will be sharp enough to make an 8x10 from, etc.

Since these are important shots, maybe you shouldn't risk these rolls of film on trying out different labs. Buy two more rolls of the same film, shoot them under fairly similar circumstances and compare those. Then take the film to the lab you choose. I know National Geographic used to (maybe still do) process half of the film from a shoot at a time. If there was a problem or something got lost then they'd still have the other half. I've personally never had anything lost, and quality problems are extremely rare with custom labs (the kind that know what a contact sheet is) so that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Custom labs may have the option to machine print proofs at the time of the development. Basically similar to the a regular lab but much better quality control. Once you have one set of proofs, you can pick the ones you like and have them custom print one for you.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks ...

Actually the two rolls I am taking in first are the ones I had in my camera that night. The conditions and film were the same, just different cameras and settings. I had mine on full auto since I didnt have much time to think about exposure. Once I decide on a lab I will take one of the "real" rolls in and see how consistant the shots are. If most are good I will go ahead and get the two sets. I want 2 sets because the photographer I used wants a set for her portfolio. Both places are about 32 cents at the time of processing versus 55 cents apiece later for 3.5x5. so I guess I will do the math and decide which way would be cheaper.

thanks for all your tips!

Thread Information