Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Colour checker passport - anyone use it...

I have been seeing a lot of stuff on various forums and in a couple of webinars I watched, about the Colour Checker Passport from X-Rite. I am curious if any one here uses it, and , if so, for what type of photography?. Being a shooter of macro, landscape and nature photography, I am wondering if it would be of any value for me. I can see it might be valuable to someone shooting weddings or portraits - matching skin colours and wedding dresses, etc. So the question is posed to those who shoot landscape and nature - do you use it and does it add valaue to your image processsing workflow? Any thoughts, insight, comments that anyone wold care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Re: Colour checker passport - anyone use it...

I use it. I shoot people and clothing, the fabric colors need to be represented as accurately as possible. For wildlife, unless you're photographing wild exotic species where small nuance in color is going to make a difference to a customer/publisher, it's probably not worth the money. A small gray digital target $12-$20 range will do everything you need to do. There's also the ExpoDisk but it costs about the same as the color checker passport.

My personal opinion is: save your money, but as always, others are free to disagree

Re: Colour checker passport - anyone use it...

Thanks jetrim, your candid opinion is greatly appreciated. It reinforces my own opinion on where something like this is useful and where it is probably not useful. In my case, it probably would not be useful. I do have an old gray card from my film days and I guess that would serve the purpose of the "small gray digital target" that you mention.

I would still be curious to hear from anyone who shoots mostly nature and landscapes, as I do, whether they use something like this or not, or whether in fact they use anything at all for "colour calibration".

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thread Information