Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Beginner need help

Hello there. I'm new to photography. Since I intended to learn photography I purchased an used Canon AE-1 with a bunch of lenses and filters.

During my long trip to Brasil, I took over 500 photos. To my surprise, after I've got the pictures back from the lab, I noticed an strange vignetting problem in many pictures. Since I din't make a log about lens, shutter and aperture used, I cannot tell the spechs of there pictures.

Take a look at an example:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/erich_...65.jpg&.src=ph

What causes that problem? I would guess at it may be the use of a 2x teleconverter with the 75-150mm tele, but I'm not sure. Or maybe it's one of the lenses that are faulty...but vignetting din't show up on many other puictures...

Does anyone have a solution? What's the problem?

Thanks.

Erich

Re: Beginner need help

Not sure what I'm looking at - vignetting is a darkening of the corners of the image and if that was the case it would probably have been caused by filters and/or a lens hood that didn't fit properly.

Can you clarify the problem? I looked at the example and saw the black circle but again, not sure...

Well, it's not really vignetting. If you look at the blue sky and keep looking as you approach the buidings, you'll notice a suble shift in color, from dark blue to light blue. It always happens around the object, as some sort of glowing or contour. It's like applying an "outer glow" effect in photoshop to that portion of the image...

Can you see it now?

I do see it now a little - maybe it's more obvious on the prints themselves. I'm not really sure what it is. The sun is behind you and to the left, so that's not a problem (could be lens flare if the sun was in front of you but this isn't the case at all). Anybody?

Unhappy Re: Beginner need help

Yes, the effect is often suble, but nevertheless, it's allways there. Since the glowing can't be seen in all pictures, it may point to one of the lenses as a cause of this strange visual disturbance.

I will now separate some of the pictures into categories, the dividing method being the lens used - if I can remember that. But it let me to think that the 50mm may be the problem. But I'll never know for sure untill I get the analisys done.

I'll soon publish some more pictures. Please do keep the brainstorming going, as you can pick up an idea along the way.

Thanks so far!

Erich

Hmm... If the problem is only with one lens, then that helps a little bit. You might try cleaning the lens pretty thoroughly. I use Eclipse solution with their cleaning pads. You'll probably have to find it locally because it's combustible and a lot of places don't ship stuff like that. It's made for cleaning optics - good stuff.

I usually use a microfiber cloth, and Eclipse every once in awhile. Put two drops (literally) on a pad (not the lens itself) and wipe the lens, front and back. I had a problem with flare one night on only one lens, and the lens looked clean. I used this stuff on it and a lot of junk came off the lens, must have been a thin film of something from the last time I used it. Anyway, it fixed the problem. And it's not expensive either.

Will certainly try that, mate.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Did you use a polorizer for this shot by any chance?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Mmm... Didn't think of that (even though "filters" were brought up!). Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Mmm... Didn't think of that (even though "filters" were brought up!). Good question!
    Well, If I took the shot with my 28mm, than it han an filter called Soligor 1A on it, and I'm not shure if this is a polarizer...The other lenses have normal, UV filter...

Why?

Re: 1A versus UV

Here's the thing:

My 70-150mm Vivitar lens has a Soligor 1A attached to it;
    My 50mm Canon lens has an UV(0) attached to it;
    Finnaly, my 28mm Canon lens has a Soligor 1A attached to it;

Could the 1a-filter be the problem? What's that filter for? Any side effects?

A 1A is also known as a Skylight filter. It's just slightly pink/amber in color and used to for warming up harsh mid-day light or maybe a light overcast day. Some people use them as protection filters but I prefer a lens hood to a filter for that any day.

This filter won't give you any side effects like that. Probably won't make any difference with neg film because the color will be adjusted out when making prints. There can be side effects with filters - reduced sharpness (not usually a problem until you make bigger prints) or extra lens flare. I don't use filters unless I have a specific reason to use one, but this is an often-debated subject.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by erich_vasconcelos
    Here's the thing:

My 70-150mm Vivitar lens has a Soligor 1A attached to it;
    My 50mm Canon lens has an UV(0) attached to it;
    Finnaly, my 28mm Canon lens has a Soligor 1A attached to it;

Could the 1a-filter be the problem? What's that filter for? Any side effects?
    There you go, the problems you are describing are all classic symptoms of using filters when you shouldn't. Get rid of the cheap UV and Skylight 1As and don't look back. If you insist on using them for perpetual "protection", buy the very best multi-coated versions from B+W, Hoya, or Heliopan. This will cost big bucks but will reduce the image degradation signifigantly. Make sure they are the right size, no "step-down" rings. Or, just save your money and use the free lens cap.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    There you go, the problems you are describing are all classic symptoms of using filters when you shouldn't. Get rid of the cheap UV and Skylight 1As and don't look back. If you insist on using them for perpetual "protection", buy the very best multi-coated versions from B+W, Hoya, or Heliopan. This will cost big bucks but will reduce the image degradation signifigantly. Make sure they are the right size, no "step-down" rings. Or, just save your money and use the free lens cap.
    Can it really be just a matter of a filter? If that's the case why every book om photography recommends one? I thought it was like "donnot leave home without it" statement. Then I guess I got it all wrong. Won't use them anymore and see the results.

Thanks for the help!

A lot of people always use them, but there are always tradeoffs. I use UV filters, but only if I'm shooting in the rain or near water and/or sand on a windy day - and then not always. I use them if I think there's a good chance that "stuff" will get on the lens. It's pretty rare, and like Michael says using a good quality filter is always best. I've been using Hoya HMC and they're very good for the price.

Re: Beginner need help!!!!!

I have examined the negatives and see no sign of the halo effect. So the problem can be either the labwork - which may have used some sort of enhancement to the printed photos - or the metering system.

Please see also this thread with a better photo of the halo, so that you have a better understanding of the problem.

Still have no clues. Did anyone have once had the same problem??
    - There is no such thing as an ugly woman; just an unskilled photoshop user. (Erich Vasconcelos)

---see my response in your other thread, same reply works here too---

Thread Information