Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Question Advice Digital/Video for my Kid

Hi, My 12 year old is a skateboarder and keeps borrowing my $400 digital camera which also takes videos to video tape new skateboard tricks he and his friends can do. I would like to buy him his own, can someone advise me on a brand/model?

Because he is a kid (here is the features I'm looking for):
    Small enough to fit in pocket
    $100-150 range in case he looses it
    Takes videos that he can upload to our computer
    Uses an SD size memory card that he can take from camera to slot in front of our computer to upload videos to myspace or utube and be clear enough.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Max's Mom

Re: Advice Digital/Video for my Kid

Any advice would be appreciated, his b-day is in 5 days, and I'm checking forum everyday. Thanks again. Max's Mom

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

max's mom,
    check out the canon a520/530/540 They are small cameras that use AA batteries. they are video capable, and they produce some great images. One user on here (mr. yuck) used them exclusively for a very long time. If you just search around you can find an a520 for about 130, which is the one I personally like the most. good luck!

How about if I raised the price range and wanted also to have:

a charagable battery (so he doesn't have to buy AA's all the time)

ALSO: he is mostly using it for MOVIES of him skating and doing tricks, the Cannon you mention I read has a 30 second limit at 640 x 480, and 3 mins at 320 x 240.

The digital picture aspect may not even be used or needed for what my son wants it for, so if there is a camera that is small, takes movies, has an SD card for uploading, and rechargable battery that would be better than the cannon please let me know. Thanks.

Is this a piece of junk?.....RCA Small Wonder EZ201 - camcorder
    Last edited by max'smom; 07-19-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Tel

Maybe check out the new Flip camera?

I've heard its pretty good for the price.

But it runs on like AA's.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Lightbulb Re: Advice Digital/Video for my Kid

There are always rechargeable AAs. I know just another thing to buy, but depending on how long ordinary AAs last, it saves on stuff going into the landfill. Just a thought.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Quote Originally Posted by max'smom
    Hi, My 12 year old is a skateboarder and keeps borrowing my $400 digital camera which also takes videos to video tape new skateboard tricks he and his friends can do. I would like to buy him his own, can someone advise me on a brand/model?

Because he is a kid (here is the features I'm looking for):
    Small enough to fit in pocket
    $100-150 range in case he looses it
    Takes videos that he can upload to our computer
    Uses an SD size memory card that he can take from camera to slot in front of our computer to upload videos to myspace or utube and be clear enough.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Max's Mom
    We purchased Aiptek video camcorder for check out at work. It is small and easy to use and gives very good video, and the Models start at a subhundred price and go up to about $300 (MZ-DV with 5 mega pixel still and 3 x optical zoom). These camcorders use the SD card and save the video files in ASF file format (windows meda player) about an hour per gig for good quality video. They also have a still camera built in, the less costly model only have digital zoom but have a 2 mega pixel sensor so you don't lose quality when going to video at 640x480 resolution.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information