Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Color Degeneration?

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a question for some techie out there. I have a compact Sony Cybershot camera I bought about 3 years ago. Lately it seems as if the color capture is not what it used to be. Do the cameras lose their ability to capture color over time? It seems my images have become (in full daylight) either overly pink or overly yellow green. I use a neutral background and that is where I am really noticing the color shift.
    Thanks for any info.

Re: Color Degeneration?

Quote Originally Posted by solicreations
    Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a question for some techie out there. I have a compact Sony Cybershot camera I bought about 3 years ago. Lately it seems as if the color capture is not what it used to be. Do the cameras lose their ability to capture color over time? It seems my images have become (in full daylight) either overly pink or overly yellow green. I use a neutral background and that is where I am really noticing the color shift.
    Thanks for any info.
    My seven year old Olympus C-3030 still takes great photos. (purchased June 2000)

There are too many variables. Have you changed computers, do the photos print with the correct colors, does it show the correct colors on the camera's display? These are only a few of the question.

Does photos on forums.photographyreview display correctly, if not you need to adjust the computer display before going on.

After copying the photos to the computer your adjusted computer, are the colors off the photos correct?

If not turn on the camera and inspect the lens. Is the lens clean? It not use a lens cleaning solution and lens cleaning cloth, clean the lens. Retake some photos with a grey card and a white sheet of paper and maybe a color wheel.

If the lens cleaning fixed the problem other wise it will have to sent back to be repaired. But one last thing you can try, remove all the batteries and leave it without batteries until you are sure it's brain dead. Find out if there a reset in the camera's menu, reinstall the batteries and perform the reset. If the photos are still the incorrect color then replace or repair is the question.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information