Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Help with taking high quality (300dpi) pics

I have a Fuju Finepix S5600 camera which is great and usually I get on well with what I need from it. Now, however, I'm trying to work out how I can take higher quality pictures with it. I can change the settings on the quality menu to take LARGER pictures but they are still 72dpi. I have been told that I need to "play around with the manual settings until I work it out" but I have no idea where to start. Any tips? The high quality photos I need to take are of stationary things, rather than real people if that makes a difference. Thanks.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Help with taking high quality (300dpi) pics

You will need to use an editing program to change the ppi to your desired value. I'm assuming you'll want to be using your images for printing?

To get higher quality pictures from your camera, you should use the highest resolution it offers and the lowest ISO possible as a start.
    Last edited by Canuck935; 07-18-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Do not worry about the dpi of the images. Just set the camera to the maxim resolution setting (optical). Using Photoshop Elements, any Photoshop or Another editor just change the image resolution DPI but remove or check the box for resampling so the editor DOES NOT resample!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by kerrie_allman
    I have a Fuju Finepix S5600 camera which is great and usually I get on well with what I need from it. Now, however, I'm trying to work out how I can take higher quality pictures with it. I can change the settings on the quality menu to take LARGER pictures but they are still 72dpi. I have been told that I need to "play around with the manual settings until I work it out" but I have no idea where to start. Any tips? The high quality photos I need to take are of stationary things, rather than real people if that makes a difference. Thanks.

DPI is a printing issue, not an in camera quality issue. As stated set you camera to the highest quality format possible. When you edit them you should be able to change the dpi then. You want to match the dpi to the printer you are using. Most home printers are 300 dpi. Your camera is stating 72dpi because that is what the average computer monitor will show, 72dpi. Here is a good description of PPI, DPI, and megapixels.
    http://www.digicamguides.com/print/ppi-print-size.html

Thread Information