Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: 800 film

800 film

I am using a APS camera that I load with advantix 400 film, I was wondering would the 800 film fit this camera? Also could I use the 40 exposes instead of the 25? I understand that 800 film does not need the use of flash as much but what about night time photography?

Re: 800 film

The films all load the same.

Some of the cameras have a 'slider switch' for setting the film speed. Most will automatically read and set the speed when the film is loaded.

The film comes in 15, 25, or 40 exposures. The camera 'auto senses' the end of the roll, and initiates the rewind at that point, so size doesn't matter.
    ------------
    In attempting to find more info about your camera online (because I'm not familiar with its features), I learned that the 'once American icon' Bell & Howell name has been licensed to other manufacturers in recent years, for a variety of products. The current camera licensee doesn't list any APS models - but maybe their customer service can still provide information on yours.

http://www.bellandhowell.com/licensing/index.shtml

http://www.jazzphoto.com/

Re: 800 film

The faster the film (as in higher ISO), the more grain you'll get. Sometimes I like it personally, I use 3200 b&w films fairly often. But starting with an APS negative (half the size of 35mm), you'll have to enlarge it just that many more times to get the same size of print. You'll also enlarge the grain.

Only way to find out if it works for you is to try it. Personally b&w grain looks good in some cases but I'm not that big of a fan of grainy color. ISO800 is one stop faster than ISO400 so you'll get more distance out of your flash or be able to shoot without it in some cases.

Thread Information