Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Thread: 3:2 ?

3:2 ?

Hi. I have a dsc f717. It lets me use( 3:2) 2650. or regular 2650x1920. should I shoot in 3.2 mode only ? is it a better size or ratio? thanks in advance for help.

Re: 3:2 ?

The 3:2 ratio is the same proportions as a 35mm negative - in that the full frame will translate directly to a standard 4x6 print.

The proportions you give for 'regular' translates roughly to a 16:9 ratio - like a Widescreen HDTV.
    Getting prints made, it would take a 4x7 (like APS "H" format) to translate the full frame directly - and standard 4x6's will crop off some of the length (about 15%).

So, it's a matter of how you're planning to use your pictures. If you're normally getting 4x6 prints made, use the 3:2 ratio. If you normally view them on one of the new widescreen TV's, use the 16:9.

I normally shoot in the 3:2 mode with my Kodak digital, because it matches what I'm accustomed to in my Film work. From a technical standpoint, the 3:2 uses fewer pixels, so it takes a little less space for the files. I have noticed no quality difference in the two sizes, and you probably won't either - because the pixel density vs, image area remains the same.

Are you sure it's not 2560 x 1920? That's a pretty common size - my Coolpix has this (Sony sensor). With this resolution, you would be closer to "standard" print dimensions of 5x7 or 8x10. You'll still have to crop but not as much. 3:2 is the standard 35mm ratio but that means that an 8x10 print has two inches cropped from the long dimension. I'd probably stick with the 2560 x 1920 to have more cropping options later.

Thank you for the info. It has made things much more clear for me.

Thread Information